Chapter 11 ~ I See

Chapter 11

            One skin-coloured, tentacle-like thing swirled up to meet Nixie’s out-stretched hand. From the slight, barely there touch Nixie could tell that it was extremely soft an supple. Her fears turned to curiosity, and she saw them in a new light. They were just another part of Shayden. And because of everything she felt for Shayden, she knew she could feel the same for them. Yes, swirling and resting on Shayden’s stomach were about twenty large and small, tentacle-like extra limbs that each looked as smooth and soft to the touch as any baby’s skin.

            The little tentacle that had reached to touch her flitted back down and she stared at it in wonder. Wow, the word raced through her mind. Another, slightly rougher touch, came to her arm and she looked to see that Shayden had rested the pad of her right hand’s forefinger on the curve of her forearm. She looked up to Shayden’s eyes, and Shayden looked down into hers.

            “Shayden,” Nixie blew out a hard breath. Shayden’s eyes turned panicked; she waited for that horrified look to resurface in Nixie’s eyes. “Shayden, they’re a part of you.” Shayden’s eyes visibly widened and she waited for Nixie to carry on.

            Nixie stood and turned to look at the greenery that surrounded them. She caught sight of long red hair as an inquisitive head ducked from sight.

            “Mirah, go away.” She called out. Next to her she felt Shayden rise and knew that Mirah wouldn’t need any more convincing. They saw only glimpses of her lithe form disappearing in the opposite direction from where they were stood.

“She can be a pain, no?” Shayden smiled and looked down at her feet, almost wishing to avoid the brunettes stare. Blonde curls hid her fearful expression, but Nixie could still make out the sight of Shayden’s trembling lips. Nixie’s hand reached out and lay itself on Shayden’s shoulder. She looked at her own hand as it complied with a will of its own. And then the rest of her followed its will.

            Nixie wrapped herself around Shayden and held her tightly. She felt Shayden jerk in surprise, go stiff as a board and then relax. The hair fell from her face as she turned her eyes to look on Nixie’s beautiful face. A more perfect mate, there never can be. The blonde smiled and the brunette followed. Before they knew it they were both grinning uncontrollably.

            The Brunettes face fell in concentration and apprehension. “Do you want to touch them?”

            Nixie hesitated for only a moment before she smiled and nodded. “Only if you’ll let me.”

            Shayden’s shy smiled brightened and she led Nixie back to their place on the bed of dried grass. They sat again, and again Shayden hesitated, contemplating long and hard the right words. The words to explain how she was different to almost every other of her own extremely unique kind.

            “These,” Shayden gestured towards her ‘extra limbs’ and continued to stare at an upright dried piece of grass, “are what every night-flyer who is able to reproduce is born with.”

            Nixie stared. Reproduce? Like as in male parts?

            “You’re transsexual?” Nixie tried to not sound horribly surprised, but she was completely sure she’d failed. Not that she had anything against Shayden, and her feelings wouldn't change, but she'd thought she was a woman, and now she was contemplating the possibility of 'her' being a 'him.'

            The blonde curls whipped into a frenzy as Shayden’s head spun to look at Nixie’s surprised face.”No!”

            The brunette’s face fell in confusion.

            “Nixie, I’m not a transsexual, I am a woman, I just happen to have been born with something that is more common amongst the males of our kind.” Nixie looked even more confused.

            “Isn’t that the same thing?”

            Shayden burst out laughing and smiled warmly at the Brunettes adorably beautiful face.

            “No, it isn’t. There’s no real way to explain it, because our kind is not sure of it ourselves, but they are something that is used to represent dominance or power. Well, that is what we assume. The easiest way to understand it is that only the strongest, most powerful females of our kind get them, and even more strange is that they’re all homosexual. It’s like our bodies developed the ability to reproduce, to mate, knowing that we’d be homosexual or something.”

            “That’s uhm, I don’t know, kind of freaky.” Nixie saw the hurt forming in Shayden’s eyes and quickly grabbed the Blonde’s hands and smiled broadly. “You’re really special, and I don’t mean that in a patronising way, I mean it. You are so special. You were made to love women, and there’s nothing wrong with that.” Nixie leaned forward and kissed Shayden lightly on her cheek. Shayden smiled and buried her head in her left shoulder, hiding from Nixie’s sight; she was blushing profusely.

            “No, Nixie, you’re the one who’s special.”

            “So I have another question.” Shayden was worried for just a second before she remembered that Nixie had just accepted the impossible. Something even Alona herself had found difficult to accept in Mirah.

            “Shoot.” Shayden smiled encouragingly and Nixie nodded in concentration.

            “When you say ‘mate’, what exactly does that mean?”

            Nixie heard Shayden’s deep sigh and knew that this was yet another difficult question to answer.

            “Night-flyers are one of the species that are able to find mates, a lifetime partner. We feel an unusual pull towards them from the time we reach a certain age – usually around the age of fifteen or sixteen.”

            Shayden saw the unease in Nixie’s eyes, felt it in her trembling hands. She didn’t know what had been said that could upset Nixie like this. She replayed her words in her mind and could think of nothing.

            "I see." Nixie stood and bit her lip while staring at Shayden’s perfectly proportioned feet. “Well, I guess that’s pretty cool, hey. Uhm, we should go find Mirah now.” Nixie nodded as if she was confirming her words with herself and started walking away. Shayden caught up to her quickly but they both remained silent. Neither wanted to talk; they were both too focused on figuring out their own thoughts.

            How dangerous.