Chapter 3 ~ The Dark

Chapter 3

Alona stood up and walked over to the small display case on the far right wall. She reached her delicate hand up to the top shelf and picked up the small conch shell the rested on the frequently dusted, cold glass. The conch was a myriad of pinks and browns; it was certainly lovely to look at. Bringing it to her mouth Alona hummed a well-ingrained tune.

The melody of Gold Reef was as well-known as it was easily forgotten. It was magically composed to be forgotten by any enemy of Gold Reef; it was the perfect form of security; securing The People’s privacy during communication and keeping undesired ears from hearing the wrong conversations.

The same song was returned by a much deeper voice, and soon followed by a gravelly voice that spoke with an air of authority and power, yet tenderness as well.

“Daughter.”

“Father.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Wow dad, can’t I phone you just because I want to?”

“You could, but I know you better.” There was a hint of a smile in his voice. “So are you going to tell me what you’re phoning me at this late hour for?”

Alona spun around and her eyes landed on a small digital clock that rested on an end table near the door Nixie had not long ago disappeared through. Green flashing numbers read that it was 23h18. No wonder Nixie had gone to sleep, she had been thinking that it was just to get away from her, but now she decided that Nixie might have genuinely been tired.

“Well see dad, the problem is… I met someone.”

“Who is he?”

“That’s the thing Dad… It’s a she.”

The link went dead quiet for a long time before she heard a deep sigh on the other end. Alona knew her father knew she was gay; but she also knew he’d be hoping she’d change her mind, since he wanted grandchildren – heirs.

“Okay, so why are you telling me about this?”

“I like her Dad. It hasn’t been that long, but I just have this feeling. You know?”

“Well I might know, depends, how long is ‘not that long’?”

“Well, a day, but I guess not really since she was passed out for most of it and I hadn’t met her before the water incident. Dad, what am I supposed to do?”

“Wait just there my light, what water incident, and hy was she ‘passed out’?”

“Well she had obviously entered that body boarding competition they were having at Sandies this morning, and I guess she must have had issues with staying afloat because I found her drowning in between the rocks. I brought her home so I could get her seen to and send her back better than before, but I don’t know… I don’t feel like taking her back anymore.”

“Back to where?”

“To land.”

“Oh no…” She could hear it in his voice, he was going to explode any minute now. “Wha-…” Any minute… “Did you…?” Seconds away “Are you crazy?!” And here we are. “You brought a human girl into our world? A HUMAN? What is wrong with you?!”

“Well forgive me, Father, if having a heart is an oddity.”

“Perhaps not an oddity, but unnecessarily transporting some human girl into our world is absolute madness! I do not believe my own daughter would do such a thing. It is against the Rules of the Reef!”

“Well, I’m surprised you were expecting me to suddenly start following the darn things. Besides, I don’t think she’s human, or at least not fully human anyway.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” The curiosity dripped from her father’s tone.

“Shall we discuss this in person rather?”

As Alona stood there saying her goodbyes to her father, promising to see him soon, someone crept up behind her. Just as Alona reached up to replace the conch shell a hand shot out and knocked it out of her hand. The conch shell went flying in one direction; and after a solid punch to the face, Alona went sailing in the other.

After a short black-out, Alona lifted herself into a very unsteady seated position. Tiny red droplets slid down her cheek from a cut along her right cheek-bone. The room came back into focus slowly. A loud crash from down the hall woke her up from her stupor and she immediately scrambled to her feet on shaky legs that very nearly gave way from under her. Alona made a drunken mad dash towards the open door of the entertainment room and, gripping the door-frame for support, skidded around the corner and slinked into the passage. Down, down to the far end of the passage one of the doors was hanging on only one of its hinges.

“That’s Nixies room.” Alona’s eyes grew wide and with renewed vigour she jogged on slightly more steady legs down the hall. The time it took to get there seemed too long. As she reached the door she had to duck. A blue shell lamp went flying passed her head and smashed into pieces against the passage wall behind her.

“Just let me pass you pathetic human! I have no time for your insolent games.” The small-built man who had intruded on her conversation with her father walked threateningly towards Nixie; Nixie who was looking at him with a face the said ‘I dare you.’ Alona didn’t like the look one bit and stepped in between them and pushed the man back with as much force as she could muster.

“Get away!”

Obviously realizing he was not only out-numbered, but he was also now easily recognizable, he tried hopelessly to duck his head and face from sight.

“Gavin! What are you doing? Get out of my house!”

The boy turned on his heels and started at a speed toward the door.

“Wait!” Alona ran after him and hooked her arm into his and held him back. The muscles in her forearm tensed as she struggled to keep him from running loose again. Nixie moved forward to see what was happening and hopefully catch a glimpse of what their hushed voices were discussing so privately.

Alona pulled her head out of reach from Gavin – the Prince of Headless Hollow, the earthen sprites’ kindom. Gavin was the exact image of his father and even though he grew up basically alone, he had grown to be a strong leader.

“What is going on?” Alona kept her grip on his arm but was fairly certain he wouldn’t try run if she removed her hand. Gavin gave no reply and merely stared at the floor. His sandy blonde hair was dishevelled and his brown eyes were dull. “What are you doing here?” Still no answer passed his chapped lips. “Gavin answer me right now, you owe me an explanation for this.” Alona placed her other hand on his chest and Gavin was shoved back against the wall.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt you, Alona, I just panicked and reacted on instinct. I wasn’t supposed to be seen.” Gavin pulled out of her grasp and took a few steps to the side and away from Alona. Alona’s eyes scanned his back.

“Gavin, all is forgiven. I am not particularly that hurt anyway. So why were you here in the first place then?” Gavin turned around with wide eyes set above a delicately curved nose and a broad thin-lipped mouth.

“You forgive me so easily?” Astonishment and relief clear in his voice he took a step toward her.

Nixie stood just outside her doorway, staring at the scene before her. She was not certain of what they spoke but it looked like it was quite intense. She saw the man taking small, slow steps towards Alona as he talked frantically. His hands gestured wildly and his shoulders were tense.

“I must tell my father of this at once.” Alona began to pace a small distance as she processed the information she’d just received. Alona’s father was going to have a figurative heart-attack. Something was here, in this dimension, living among them. Someone was walking around, travelling unnoticed. This was the kind of person they had been fearing would enter the world for a thousand years – a Tenebris; a Darkling.