Chapter 15 Part 3 I Haven't Slept

Silence.

Silence as Chris tried to process what was being said. She had a feeling about Ashlynn's sudden unexpected appearance at her office... but... no... she wouldn't dare. Her wolf wanted to respond immediately but Chris had her pause. Chris felt the intense irritation of the false promise of information. Her wolf started babbling. 'This is beyond annoying. Let's just send her to Gia. She will set her straight. We still have so much to finish, look at all this paperwork. The Alpha's will be arriving soon, and-'

"Did you hear me?" Chris's eyes refocused and honed in on the female in front of her. The tone she gave was almost snooty as she repeated herself. "Leave Terrant alone."

Chris immediately smirked, which made Ashlynn blink in surprise. "So you are here.... To stake your claim on Alpha Terrant?"

Ashlynn nodded slowly, her chin rising again. Chris pushed off the back of the couch leaning forward as her smirk became a lethal grin. "So you are his mate?"

Ashlynn faltered. "Well... no, but-"

Chris balanced her elbow on her knee and her chin in her hand. "Ah, then you are his girlfriend."

Ashlynn blinked a small look of panic coming to her face as she watched Chris stare at her like.... Prey. "I- uh... no, but-"

Chris's smile was so wide her teeth showed as she continued. "So.... he is your fiance?"

"I... well... not yet.."

Chris's head cocked to one side. " I'm sorry but "not yet" is not an affirmative claim on anyone."

Ashlynn blushed violently.

Chris pulled in a deep breath. "So my only assumption is that he has made his feelings known to you."

Ashlynn finally looked away from the intense look, allowing Chris's dominance to get the best of her. "Not exactly... but he-"

"I don't mean that he gave you a towel or thanked you for bringing him coffee. I mean he did something that would give you a legitimate reason to be in my office attempting to tell an Alpha of a fellow pack to stay away."

Ashlynn stared back at Chris attempting to hold her own. She finally broke eye contact.

Chris sat back on the couch, a smirk on her face. "I guess not."

Ashlynn took a strained breath."We have known each other since we were children."

"So?" Chris said, shrugging. "I have known my Beta since I became Alpha."

Ashlynn clenched her teeth together as she said. "Our parents have arranged-"

Chris sighed loudly. "I think you are missing my point, Ashlynn." Chris paused as she examined Ashlynn, who refused to make eye contact with her. Even though Ashlynn was not part of Chris's pack, she could still feel the power that emanated from her. Which Chris allowed to be let loose when she was making a point of her role as Alpha. "You do not have a right to come here and speak for Alpha Terrant."

Ashlynn immediately looked up at Chris in surprise. "I will admit that you are not the first female to come to my pack today, demanding the same."

"What?!" Ashlynn said in shock.

Chris smiled at her. "Yes there have been a few other females who came over to attempt to scare me away from your precious Alpha. Unfortunately, most of them got to visit with my Omega who has had very little sleep and is very... cranky."

Ashlynn hissed under her breath. "How dare they."

Chris's smile turned cold. "How dare they? How dare you." Ashlynn looked back up at Chris, a little bit of panic grazed her features at the barely contained wolf in Chris's face. "First, I will explain that it is extremely rude to waste my time and energy when we are fighting a war, one of which your Alpha and I are contracted to participate in... together." Ashlynn flinched at the ferocity of Chris's voice. "Second, if you or any of the other females actually had some sort of relationship with Alpha Terrant you would be speaking to him and not attempting to deter me."

Ashlynn slouched in her seat like a scolded child. "Lastly, if Alpha Terrant wanted any of you. You would not have to play these stupid games. He will make his intentions known and if he doesn't... he is not worth your time."

Ashlynn immediately stood up and bowed low to Chris, muttering a small apology as she walked toward the exit.

Chris sighed inwardly at herself. 'Was that harsh?' She asked her wolf.

'No more harsh than the other females.' Her wolf responded.

'I actually like Ashlynn.' Chris thought back. 'I don't know why but... I feel like... she let go of this a little too quickly.'

'She did seem to let go of Terrant without a fight.' Her wolf mused.

'She seems like a smart, clever kind of girl. But this feels like it was.... forced.'

Her wolf remained quiet, humming in her chest, allowing Chris to decide.

"Ashlynn." Chris said in a commanding voice, which stopped her at the door. Chris stood up and walked to the front of her desk, she leaned her back against the desk, crossing her arms. Ashlynn stood there facing her. Her face red and tears brimming at her eyes. "Why are you really here?"

Ashlynn blinked furiously, attempting to get rid of the fluid that had built up. "I don't know what you mean, Alpha Winters."

Chris chewed on her bottom lip as she examined Ashlynn again. "Are you really here to stake a claim on a male who doesn't want you?" Chris saw the tears that were threatening, start to fall down her cheeks. "Or is it because you think there is not another option?"

Ashlynn slowly looked up at Chris, the tears falling slowly down her beautiful face. Chris tilted her head again. "Maybe there is a connection that you feel for Alpha Terrant but there is more out there than just finding a male. I have a feeling that you... actually want something more for yourself." Ashlynn's eyes went wide as she gazed at Chris. "Finding love is not a bad thing... but it should never be the only thing."

"I-don't..." Ashlynn tried, her eyebrows scrunched up in concentration.

"And" Chris added when Ashlynn didn't continue. "Finding love that is returned... is much more rewarding than chasing a love that was never there." Chris looked down as she whispered, "or has disappeared."

Ashlynn nodded quietly, a small smile on her face as she wiped the tears away. She looked up at Chris as she said, "I think I will try out for the military."

Chris smiled back. "That's the best idea you've had all day."

*Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment! I love constructive criticism, however, if it becomes mean I will take you down.*

-LostArrow-