Chapter 15 Part 2 I Haven't Slept

Chris stood up walking around her desk. "I feel like we have been working hard to prepare for Trawley.... to finally wipe him and all his filth off the face of the earth and now..." Chris put her hands on her desk and allowed her head to hang between her shoulders, almost defeated. "Now...I am being forced into a group project I never asked for and to contribute I have to reveal all my dirty laundry for everyone to see and examine at their leisure."

Suddenly another loud message was sent to Chris which almost made her jump again. Chris growled in frustration at the message.

"What is it?" Helma asked in alarm, watching Chris.

"Another... irritation." Chris growled as she sent a message back to Claire.

Before Helma could ask for clarification, Claire appeared at the door.

"Claire!" Chris said loudly which made the girl visibly flinch. Chris took a breath and started again, quieter and more calm. "Claire, I have never met anyone who can shout over mental messages before but apparently you possess this talent." Claire's cheeks turned slightly pink. "Please do not try to get my attention. Trust me, I am listening and I can hear you." Chris smiled slightly. "As for your other question. Send her to Gia to.... handle."

Claire made a small noise, out of fear or respect it was unknown as she immediately exited the room. Helma stood up from the couch sauntering toward the desk. "Someone appears to be on edge this morning." Helma said, picking up a pile of paperwork on the edge of the desk. "At least..."She shrugged, "With staff."

Chris sighed, feeling guilty. She knew Claire was sensitive, her lack of sleep must be really starting to show.

"Who is Gia dealing with?" Helma asked, flipping some of the papers on the desk.

Chris sat down in her desk chair and leaned back. "Females from Alpha Terrant's pack."

"What?!" Helma asked her eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Four of them have arrived since 5AM." Chris said closing her eyes against the sun that was shining brighter through the windows behind her desk. "All of them wanting a meeting with me, all of them attempting to stake some claim in Alpha Terrant, all of them warning me to stay away, and all of them running home with their tail between their legs." Chris rolled her eyes. "After meeting with the second one I decided I should delegate the task to someone else."

Chris looked up at Helma who had an incredulous look on her face. "Well I hope Gia doesn't kill them.... Or eat them."

Chris chuckled, shaking her head, "After all this time, you still don't trust Gia."

Helma grunted in amusement. " I don't trust someone who can eat that many dumplings in one sitting."

Chris' face became suddenly serious. "I told her to hold back a little.... I don't want to get into some kind of feud because females went missing after coming to my pack land."

"Hmmm..." Helma said, attempting to look very interested in the files on the desk.

"What?" Chris asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, I just heard that Alpha Terrant is very handsome and charming." Helma said nonchalantly.

"Did you now?" Chris said, tilting her head with a suspicious look at Helma. "I wonder who told you that."

"I mean since you both went on a date-"

"It was not a date!" Chris said sitting up in her chair. "It was.... Interesting and informative, but not a date." Helma's smile became wide. "I mean we had food and talked."