39. Unconditional

Start from the beginning

"Luigi," he started. "You were right. I was wrong for the millionth time."

"About what, Mario?" Luigi sounded bored.

"About them," Mario replied. "Peach and Bowser and everybody."

"I know," Luigi stated. "It's time you opened your eyes a little wider."

The two brothers once again ate silently before Luigi decided to ask the question that was lingering in his mind.

"Why do you have a black eye?" he asked.

"Because I deserved one," was all Mario said.

"Are you gonna elaborate or leave me clueless?" Luigi muttered. "'Cause I've noticed that your friends seem to like leaving me clueless, too."

"Okay, Bowser punched me," Mario admitted. "There. Happy?"

Luigi said nothing and Mario decided to spill out everything he wanted to say.

"Peach dumped me, I'm not friends with any of them," Mario started. "In fact, I'm not friends with anyone. I'm sorry about everything and the way I treated you. I'm sorry about the way I've treated all of your friends, too. No, I don't expect you to forgive me. Now, goodbye because I have to figure out how to live my life as a loner."

Mario stood up and carried his plate to the sink, he had lost his appetite. 

"Mario," Luigi spoke. "I forgive you."

*a week and two days later*

"Ugh, why does it have to be a Monday of all days?" Birdo complained. "I have to wait so many years until my birthday is on a weekend!"

"We all go through that," Daisy stated.

The two girls were walking down the halls with Mario a little behind them. Birdo and Daisy noticed that Mario seemed a little distant. They turned around to face Mario.

"Umm, Mario?" Daisy said.

Mario had seen a Koopa Troopa student in one of the older grades walking alone in the halls just minutes ago. He seemed glum and it was obvious. But, many students were walking past him and ignoring him. No one cared about how this student felt. He was a loner and it wasn't an opinion... It was a fact.

Seeing the poor student just made Mario think about something that happened just a week ago.

*flashback*

"Hi... Mario..." Boo spoke, unsure of what to say.

Mario had come to the unpopulars' table at lunch and all of Mario's former friends were looking at each other, puzzled. Some of them looked like they were expecting Mario to pick on them.

"Hi," Mario started. "I just wanted to apologize for everything. I know I've acted like a total douchebag. I'm no longer friends with any of the populars and I'm no longer with Peach. I'm not expecting you to forgive me, let alone befriend me again. But, I figured all of you deserved apologies from me."

The unpopulars did not see this coming. Luigi just sat quietly. Though he had forgiven Mario, he had never said anything about letting Mario join his group again because he was unsure about whether his friends would be okay with Mario back in their group.

The other unpopulars whispered to each other. Then, Yoshi spoke up.

"I forgive you," he stated.