312. Promotion

My phone alarm rang at seven thirty, an unusual time for a Saturday. Usually, I would never wake up this early. However, considering the fact that today will be a busy day, it's just another thing that must be done. I stirred from my slumber and reached for my phone that I had placed on my nightstand, turning off the alarm so as to not disturb Avelyn who was still sleeping in the other room.

Once awake, I quietly exited my room, leaving the door opened behind me as I walked across the short hallway and into the bathroom. To be honest, when I first moved out of Loriana's house, it took me a while to become accustomed to the reality of housing in Palisia. I lived in the dorms of the Military Academy until I graduated, and that was one of the worst experiences in my life. The dorms cramped four people into a small room with bunk beds, and every night I had to deal with the snoring of my roommates. Therefore, that played a huge role in my decision to graduate early.

Even when I had graduated, looking for housing was another battle. Rent prices were high in Palisia, so finding some place that wasn't absolutely miserable and yet affordable was difficult. Lucky for me, Avelyn received a full ride scholarship to Lumina's Girls University so I did not have to worry about her tuition. So, with my salary fresh out of the Military Academy and with what money I had exchanged with what little SP I had left on the Socialization App after spending the bulk of what I had on improving my natural physical attributes, I found this place for about fifty thousand Vil per month. Despite the cost, the apartment is still on the smaller side, with only two bedrooms, one bathroom, and one kitchen and living room.

Speaking of SP, I sincerely feel as if I was ripped off by the returns of my investment on improving my own physical attributes. These improvements, ranging from better perception skills to enhanced physical athleticism were the most expensive in the store. However, the enhancements really weren't that noticeable. However, I can definitely sense an improvement. This...probably is intentional as it is essentially defying nature's law for a person's natural capabilities to be altered. It's reasonable, yet at the same time it is unreasonable for the nature of the app.

After I had finished with my morning routine, I got changed in my room into the formal business attire, and quietly exited the apartment, locking the door with my keys before walking down the hallway to the elevators. I rode the elevators straight down to the underground parking lot and retrieved my car. From there, I started driving in the direction of the Vilheim Police Department headquarters. However, I stopped at a fast food restaurant's drive through for a quick breakfast that I ate while waiting at red lights on the drive over.

I arrived at the headquarters at around eight thirty, and because it was a Saturday, the headquarters were not as crowded or as busy as before. However, there were still plenty of people staffed for the weekends. After scanning my phone on the scanner by the guarded door that lead away from the separated reception area, I entered the restricted area of the building and made my way over to the elevator that I usually used. When I arrived at the elevator, I was greeted by Cynthia who had already summoned the elevator and was waiting for it to arrive.

Dressed in a women's black business suit with her blonde hair tied into a ponytail, she was dressed similarly to how she would on a regular workday. I suppose it is something of a regular workday for us, but the two of us both know that technically, we were only summoned for a brief chat about our promotion and then we have the remainder of the day off. Although that is true for Cynthia, it is not for me.

"Good morning," she said, smiling weakly at me.

"Good morning," I responded.

The elevator finally arrived and with a ping, the doors slide open. The few people within the elevator walked out in silence as they moved to their next destination to conduct their own business, and when they emptied the elevator, Cynthia and I entered. I closed the door and on the touch screen, I selected the floor where the Director's office was located.