219. Exploring

This wooden building was rather grandiose in build and with three stories tall not counting a possible attack. At the very top of the building, there was what appeared to be a radio tower that extended just over the canopy of the dense forest on either sides at the top of the ravine. The tower itself was rusty with the metal turning a color of brown due to oxidization, causing me to doubt whether or not it would still actually function.

"What the hell is this place?" Zaksus muttered as we approached the front entrance of the building, finally escaping the world of snow as the veranda of the building prevented any snow from falling on the ground underneath its protective covers.

I am actually quite surprised that this place did not crumble based on the material that it was built from. On a mountain where the weather is so unpredictable, it's rather hard to believe that a wooden building would hold up for so long. I suppose there must be interior supports of some kind that is holding up the place, concealed out of view.

"We'll head inside," Mura decided. "We're not going anywhere else today." She looked out and at the dusk sky outside. "And I assume we're all a bit too tired to continue."

"Right," Luna nodded her head.

"Yeah," Noah sighed in agreement.

All of our faces appeared rather pale and red, a consequence of the weakness we experienced from a lack of consumption of food and experiencing the piercing cold of the world outside. Our lips were chapped due to the dried air, and all in all, our skin felt as if they were constantly being irritated. 

We entered the run-down building, leaving behind the cold world of the outdoors, stepping foot into the vestibule of the interior of the grandiose structure. The ground was of an alternating tile pattern that seemed to be rather consumed by time. And as for the walls, the white paint had mostly peeled off, exposing the ugly and bare surface underneath. However, the most surprising of all, there was a light on, flickering about from the light bulb hanging from the ceiling.

"Why is there light?" Zaksus frowned and said in a frightened manner. "Of all places, why is there light here?"

"I don't know," Loyd shook his head and sighed in a frustrated and cautious manner.

Everyone seemed rather tense by the presence of the illumination, which is understandable. Anyone would be creeped out to discover a light shining in a building that seemed as if no one has lived in for over fifty years. However, that happened right in front of us. We saw it.

Based on what I know about fuel and electricity, there must be a Mana Resonance vein underneath this establishment that is providing a flow of Mana to the generators in the generator room located who-knows-where. The Mana trickling in must be what is keeping the electricity running. But then, there is the weird part. If the light bulbs are constantly running, one day they will burn out. If this light is still on after fifty years, that only means one thing: someone had changed it.

"Maybe there's a Mana Resonance vein nearby?" Luna suggested.

"That would explain it," Zaksus smiled and laughed nervously, trying to rid himself of his anxiety and fear.

We then made our way past the vestibule and officially entered the interiors of the building. Here, there was some sort of front-desk looking area. There were numerous rusty filing cabinets behind the counter covered with cobwebs. On the counter, there were what is remaining of a clipboard as well as yellowed papers and a dried out ink pen. On either sides of us were long dark hallways extending in both directions with only the occasional light on in the hallways, providing a slim circle of light in the darkness.

"What's this?" Irina said out loud with a surprised and yet composed voice.

We all immediately looked over at her. The others were probably still tense from the fear that the notion that something unnatural might be happening, so they were extra cautious. That explained why they were able to immediately focus their attention on the stimulus that Irina's voice provided.