286. A Lesson Learned

I stood there before the door that I had just closed behind me, eyes wide in surprise as I took in the girl that sat next to my father, who had loosened himself of his formal marriage dress and had removed his belt such that his robe was open in the front. Slowly, I recollected myself, pushing back my astonishment and transferred my focus back to Father.

"So," Father said, setting the small cup on the table before him. "Care to explain why you are late?"

"My apologies," I immediately got on my knees. "I...I lost track of time and forgotten your words."

"..." Father creased his brow as he stared at me. His dark brown eyes seemed to be unaffected by the dim lighting and pierced right through my soul. "I asked to see you later today," he said, letting out a sigh. "and I suppose it is not yet tomorrow... I shall not punish you for it this time."

"Thank you for your mercy, Father," I lowered my head once again.

"Rise," Father said in a tired manner and I did as he ordered. 

Standing before him, I straightened my back and held my head high but in a submissive manner. This is the only acceptable posture for someone of my status to greet the Emperor as members of the royal family must not show any weakness and should always keep pride on their minds.

"Relax," Father softly chuckled. "There's no need to be so tense. Come sit with me."

"Yes Father," I nodded and slowly walked over. I did my best to relax my muscles, but it was rather difficult as the concept of absolute obedience to this figure was drilled into me since birth. In addition, this aura of absolute power that Father exerted was rather suffocating, making it such that it was almost difficult to breath.

"I told you to relax," he said, placing a hand on my shoulder after I sat down next to him. "There's no one here right now, so you need not be as formal."

"U-understood..."

"You just won't listen huh?" Father sighed and shook his head.

"I'm sorry, Father," I immediately apologized as I know that I had disappointed him.

"No—"

There was a soft chuckle that emerged from the girl sitting on the opposite side of Father. A gentle smile appeared on her face as she looked in my direction in an amused and almost loving manner.

"What are you laughing about?" Father inquired her.

"It appears that both my Lord and Prince Alevian are at fault here," she answered in a genuine manner, a response that originated from the heart with little filter. "My Lord does not understand how to interact with a child, and the child does not understand how to interact with a parent."

"I suppose you are right," Father sighed.

"Come here," the girl said to me, raising her arms up to chest-level in a welcoming gesture that was as if she wants me to come to her.

I felt a desire to approach her, but...currently I do not believe I have this authority. I glanced over at Father, seeking his permission on the matter, and waited for him to respond. He seemed to not have noticed me as he simply reached for the small cup on the table and took a sip from it. The smell of alcohol could be perceived from my location and it would appear that Father was somewhat intoxicated, although still maintaining his usual demeanor and consciousness. He stared into the empty cup as if contemplating something, and it was only after the girl cleared her throat to notify him before he recognized that I was awaiting for his consent.

"Go ahead," he said, nodding his head.

With Father's consent, I slowly rose from the ground and walked over to the girl, whose warm smile greeted me as I approached. I looked straight at her face and into her eyes, and then recognized that she wanted me to come even closer. I glanced over at her arms that was as if inviting me to her embrace and did as my instincts told me. She took me into her arms, allowing me to press up against her body as she gently stroke the back of my head.