215. Sacrificing "Someone"

The wind continued to blow gently with no signs of stopping, moving the threads of our hair as well as the leaves of the trees. It caused the lake surface to ripple, disturbing the peace. However, it is this disturbance, this wind that created the temporary and fragile serenity between Luna and I as I stood there with a hand resting on the coarse bark of a nearby tree watching her. She looked over at me and her melancholic eyes locked with mine.

"It's getting late," I started speaking as I slowly walked over to her without saying anything else.

"There's still sometime until it gets dark," Luna looked away and towards the lake. "I'll be back in a bit..."

I stared at her in silence, then I turned my head and looked out at the lake, taking in the beautiful mountain scene. The wind really did prove to be a masterful stroke in the atmosphere, imbuing everything with a calm and mystic aura. From the leaves of the trees to the surface of the lake, and even to the air around us, it made everything seem tranquil, giving one's mind a soothing massage. Slowly, I walked over to next to her and sat down. Not directly next to her, but a few steps away from her such that there was a gap between us.

I simply sat there and enjoyed the wind and view as I waited with Luna. I'm not so sure if she wanted my presence, but I just feel like it would be best if I wait here with her. In my mind, I thought back on last night, replaying our conversation over in my head. It was obvious that something is on her mind and it is seriously bothering her. Otherwise, she would not have that look of lonely sadness on her face.

"Alevian," she started speaking in a soft and almost defeated voice after a few minutes. "You mind listening?"

"Go ahead," I muttered in response as I kept my gaze on the reflection of the setting sun in the water.

She took a deep breath and sighed. "There's been something on my mind," she said. "Someone rather...and it's been bothering me."

Someone on her mind... I am still unsure as to what exactly had occurred in this timeline, but...it must've still involved me. In this timeline, she still had that illness, but the only difference is that it was no longer terminal and could be cured. The specifics I do not know, but apparently, she went from thinking that she would die to being cured. So in this timeline, where do I come in all this? What is my role? But...if this timeline is similar and yet different from the original one, then...I should still have a rather major role. So...this person she's talking about...could it be me?

"What's he like?" I asked nervously, hoping to gather from her the necessary information I needed to determine whether or not it was me.

"He's...kind," Luna responded. "Kind and warm, always putting the needs of others before his own. Someone who would help others for no reason, someone who would be there when I need him, someone that gets along well with everyone else."

The corners of my lips turned upwards slightly as I mocked my own foolishness. To think that I would think that she was referring to me...How stupid can I get? There's no way that I am anything like the person she just described, absolutely no way... Compared to that person, who sounds rather like a saint, I am a mere monster, a monster that thinks to highly of himself.

"I've been thinking about him a lot," Luna continued. "The thing is...I have a boyfriend already."

That person she's thinking about...who could it be? Loyd? No. She has a rather large social circle and knows plenty of people outside of us. It can be anyone. But there's the question about why she would spend so much time with us? Is it to occupy her brain? To escape from having to think about him? I guess that is why.

"I don't know what is this feeling," Luna continued and brought her right hand to her chest, feeling her pulse. "Whenever I think of him, my heart rate just increases... Alevian...can you tell me what it is?"