282. Grand Palace

[Circa 1500 Years Ago]

The entire day has been rather busy as I gazed out the opened windows from my sleeping quarters, taking in the sight of the servants beyond the inner wall as they rushed to and from, carrying with them the finishing pieces of decoration as well as various supplies requested by the imperial chefs in the kitchen. By the festive and hurried atmosphere of the various servants recently, it would appear that today is a rather important day in the Grand Palace.

I climbed down from the window sill and pushed the chair I had used to boost myself up back to its proper location. Soon, my retainer will come to check on me this morning and would monitor me in my daily schedule. I do not dislike her, rather, she is someone that I actually enjoy having around me. But...I would prefer if she were to grant me more freedom...

"Good morning, Prince Alevian," her cheerful voice announced her presence from the other side of the closed wooden door prior to her slowly and gently pushing the door open.

"Good morning, Mura," I smiled and answered her, sitting on my bed and pretending as if I had just woken up.

Mura, my retainer, is a girl that was five years older than me, so she was ten years old. She was chosen to become my retainer as she was the only trusted servant that is around my age, but...I suppose these five years difference and her innate maturity is enough for her and I to have a...should I say gap in our communications. In my eyes, she is more like those adults than like a child like myself.

"I shall help you get dressed," Mura said with a smile as she walked over towards the clothes hanger where a clean, black and red silk robe was hung the night before. "And afterwards, you shall be served breakfast."

"And after that?" I asked as I stood up and stretched out my arms in a cooperative manner, allowing her to slip the silk robe over my inner robe garments.

"Time for your education," she responded as she tied the belt around my waist.

"But I don't wanna do that," I responded in a whining manner.

"But Prince Alevian," Mura said as she gazed into my eyes in a playful manner. "As a candidate for the throne, you must be well-prepared to become the next emperor."

"But doesn't brother get the first consideration? And then after him my sisters? I am simply the forth one in the line," I complained.

"Yes..." Mura smiled in a difficult manner. 

She knows that I am right, and that it is near impossible for me to become the next emperor, as according to the rules in the royal family, to become the next emperor, one must first complete the challenges set by the previous emperors at the Saroff Tower, the tomb of the first emperor. Who goes first is decided by order of birth and gender does not play a role in the decision process, so...since I am the forth youngest in the royal family, I am the forth one to undergo the challenge, but that is only if the first two attempts at the tower fails, which means both my brother and sister is rejected by the spirits of the previous emperors. The chance of that happening is...basically zero, as in the available history, the furthest down the order the trials went was to the second eldest child.

"But...it is better to be prepared for whatever that may happen just in case the impossible does happen," Mura finished.

"Fine..." I sighed as I walked before Mura and out of my sleeping quarters.

This path to the dining area is one that I had undertaken numerous times already in my life. Stepping over the wooden threshold and stepping foot on the stone brick road underneath the roofed hallways, I turned right and began making my way to the dining room in the Inner Court. The Grand Palace is divided into many sections that were all walled off from each other with the different entrances being the many different grand gates of entrance. The area that the royal family resides in is located within the Inner Court, and thus this place is located in the heart of the Grand Palace and is the best-defended location.

Walking past the beautiful inner gardens in the courtyard to my left contained in the rectangular layout of my quarters located in the Palace of Light that I shared with my other siblings, I was soon greeted by my guards, a group of three men dressed in the black and navy blue of the Emperor's Blades, a special operations force tasked with carrying out the direct orders of the emperor, which in this case is to protect me.

The Gates of Serenity, the exit to the Palace of Light was soon in sight. This tall opening with its metal doors was one of the three exits framed into the tall palace walls from the Palace of Light, and since this exit is the one closest to the dining hall, this is the gate that I took. It is also the gate that my other siblings took the most often.

"Morning, Alevian," I heard a familiar voice call my name.

Looking over, I saw that it was one of my older half sisters, Luna. Known as the Princess of the Moon for her birth on a night with a brilliant full moon, she is the daughter of my father and one of his concubines in his harem. She's about five years older than me, but even then, she treats me with utmost kindness.

"You appear rather fine today," she smiled.

I looked over at this girl dressed in a black and red silk robe that was characterized by the use of silver silk to embroider the images of the moon. As the second eldest of all the royal children, her clothing was allowed for the use of colors other than the black and red that was the standard for the rest of us. However, she almost never use her status as my older sibling to force me to do anything, which I greatly appreciate.

"Luna!" a happy voice called the name of my older sister. 

Looking over, I saw that it was my other older sister, Erith. Erith is a year younger than Luna, and for some reason, she holds Luna at high regards, devoting to Luna her utmost respect and affection. However, as for me, she does not seem to like that much as she always displays a somewhat annoyed attitude whenever I am in her proximity.

"And Alevian too?" she frowned when she saw me.

"Be nice now, Erith," Luna said in an authoritative tone that communicated her pride and confidence as the eldest daughter.

"Fine," Erith sighed and crossed her arms. "Oh, it's Loyd!"

"What is the fuss about over here?" Loyd, my eldest brother walked over to the Gate of Serenity with his back straight and head held tall. Walking in a graceful manner, his countenance betrayed nothing but more of his handsomeness.

He too is one of my half-siblings, and being eight years older than me, he is the one that everyone expects to become the next emperor. He has already displayed tremendous talent as a Caster when he turned seven years of age, and through his training has become a skilled fighter and well-voiced leader. His reputation is known throughout the empire, and it would appear that the subjects view him with much respect. 

"Good morning, Loyd" Luna bowed in an elegant manner, and Erith and I followed suit. This is one of the formal rituals we must perform whenever we come into contact with someone of great importance, the eldest child of the emperor for example. "Nothing is of matter here. Tis' all simple child's play and banter."

"You don't have to be so formal with me, sister," Loyd chuckled. He walked over towards Erith and I, his black and red robe with gold silk embroideries flowed in the air as he did so, and placed a gentle hand atop of both mine and Erith's head. "Get along, you two."

"Fine," Erith and I both said in a whining voice at the same time.

"Now," Loyd said as he straightened his back and rose to his full height. "We must not keep father waiting."

Our entourages merged into one large group as we made our parade through the wide walkways of the Inner Court that was kept clean and maintained by the many servants in the Grand Palace towards the dining hall located in the Palace of Kin. From there, after passing through the Gates of Recovery, we entered the Palace of Kin and made our way over to the large building that harbored the dining hall.

Servants stood on either side of the hallway and bowed as we passed by until we finally reached the closed, wooden doors leading into the dining hall. Two servants quickly rushed the doors and opened them for us.

"Good morning, father," we all said in unison as we bowed and waited for the man dressed in a lavish black and gold robe to grant us permission to raise our heads.

Author's Note:

Memoirs of the Forgotten Prince begins this chapter.