262. First Night

My eyes were fixed on the figures of Luna and Zevin as they walked down the path back towards the house, their shadows elongated by the angle of the setting sun. Slowly, I turned my gaze towards the ocean, taking in the figure of Erith and Alvelyn as they seemed to be wrapping up the lesson. It seemed like now would be a fine time to tell them that we should be heading back, but I'm not in the mood to yell right now, so I'll just wait for them to get up here. I could communicate this with Alvelyn telepathically, but then it would be weird and suspicious, so I decided to not to do that.

With a sigh, I leaned against the railing, feeling a sense of fatigue in my body. Once again, I gazed out at the setting sun and the beautiful blend of orange and purple as the twilight hours of the day slowly gave way to nighttime. Slowly, I forced myself to stand without having to support myself with the railing, and began walking towards the stairway that led up from the beach. That is where Erith and Alvelyn are headed.

As I walked, I heard the sound of a car horn honking at me. Looking over my shoulder, I saw that it was a familiar SUV and sitting in the driver seat is Emilia. As I turned to face her, she slowly rolled down the window.

"Where have you been?" I asked her as she brought the vehicle to a stop.

"Went out to pick up some stuff that is needed for dinner," she answered. "Mainly extra paper dishes and cups. Are you walking back? Do you want a ride?"

"..." I stared at her and maintained silent. Then, I slowly looked over at Erith's and Alvelyn's figure as they approached the stairway from the showers. "No. I'm feeling like walking back. You can go ahead."

"Is that so?" she nodded. "Then I'll see you back at the house."

With a nod in her direction, I watched as she rolled up the windows and drove off, leaving me standing by myself as I awaited for Erith and Alvelyn.

When the two finally made their way up the stairway, I was the only one standing there and greeting them. My presence was seen as a surprise by Erith and a bit less so by Alvelyn. However, what was more in Erith's mind was probably why I was here instead of Luna.

"Where's Luna?" she asked, looking around in search of her figure.

"She got picked up by Zevin," I answered her.

"Why're you here then?" she then asked.

"I heard that you're teaching her how to swim," I said, looking over at the fatigued Alvelyn. "So I came to watch."

"To watch?" Alvelyn muttered to herself. She seemed to be shivering a bit, probably from the frightful experience of having to learn how to swim.

"So did she learn how to swim yet?" I asked Erith.

"Nope," Erith sighed.

"I would've thought," I nodded and looked over at Alvelyn in an apologetic manner. "They say dinner is almost ready."

"Let's head back then," Erith said, as she started walking. Draped over her shoulders were her towel.

I looked over and met eyes with Alvelyn, whose expression seemed to be one that was holding back a slight amount of anger. It would appear that she's somewhat mad that I didn't choose to help her and simply watched. However, what could I do in that moment? Even if it's myself, I cannot simply just "save" myself.

The walk back to the house was...rather silent as none of us made conversation. I guess this is in my favor because I really don't feel like being able to converse after what I just experienced. Alvelyn must be being impacted by my mental state. However, Erith on the other hand, seemed to be influenced by something else. Even though she's not showing it, I can sense that something's bothering her.