323. Action

I spent the morning cleaning away and retrieving my belongings from the police station, accepting the congratulations of my former colleagues as they ceremonially lined up to see me off. I smiled politely in response, dealing with it as professionally as possible. However, I don't think I will miss them or working in this workspace.

"Don't forget, Alevian!" one of my coworkers said to me. "Tonight at the Grand Marlton Hotel, we're having a send off for you."

"I'll be there," I casually smiled as I exited with the ground cheering me on in a triumphant manner as I left.

Once I was done with that, I relocated to my new private office within the Palace Tower. It was located in one of the upper floors of the grandiose Palace Tower, just one below the emperor's personal office. 

After setting up my office, I decided to take a look out in the hallway. The hallway was of the similar, elegant and dark style as the rest of the building with black marble floors and walls. However, it was empty with the only sounds audible being the soft humming of the air conditioning unit. There were no signs of any traffic here as being allowed up here required the highest level of security clearance. In addition, there also weren't that many offices here as well since the Palace Tower was built to be wide on the base and gradually become slimmer and slimmer as it goes up in height.

I checked the time on my phone, and seeing that it was nearing the time for my scheduled meeting with the emperor, I started making my way towards the elevators. When I arrived by the closed elevator doors, I saw that Cynthia was standing there, already waiting.

"Good morning," I casually said to her as I stood next to her to wait as well.

"Good morning," she answered back, her voice somewhat nervous and sounded a little fatigued.

"Cheer up," I said to her. "We're about to meet with the emperor. Don't act so tired."

"Is it that obvious?" she asked me. "I was too nervous and excited last night, I could barely sleep."

"Yeah," I nodded and glanced in her direction, taking in her bloodshot eyes and the visible bags under her eyes. "Shouldn't be an issue though."

The elevator soon arrived and the two of us took it up to where the emperor's office was located. Once again, we stepped foot into the familiar room and was greeted by the emperor who smiled when he saw us.

"Relax," he said. "It's nothing serious. I have a couple assignments for you guys."

The emperor grabbed a USB drive on his desk and showed us.

"It's all in here," he said as he placed the USB on his hand back down on the desk next to another USB drive that was almost identical to the one he just showed us. "The left one is for Cynthia. The one on the right is for you Alevian."

Cynthia and I retrieved our assigned USB from the emperor's desk.

"So usually, you might not even be working in the office everyday," Leshius continued. "Most likely you'll just have to come in to receive your newest assignments and report. However, often times you just get your tasks done and no questions asked. Understood? If yes, then you're both dismissed."

Cynthia and I then exited the office and retreated to the elevators where we rode it down to the floor where our offices were located.

"It's less formal than I expected," Cynthia said.

"You think it would have the office culture that you're so used to?"

"A little..." Cynthia answered. "I wonder when we can meet our other coworkers."