303. Investigation for Adults

"So what information did you get from your...surveillance cameras?" I asked Alevian after getting into his car.

"Nothing other than a list of names," he replied. "That and some unfamiliar faces. All pieces of the puzzle, but by itself, it is worthless."

"Right," I muttered and sighed. 

He remained silent for a bit as he continued to drive his car to our destination. Occasionally, he cast a glance over in my direction. "You do not approve of my methods?"

"Yeah," I answered. "What you did...is illegal."

"What part of it is?"

"You violated their right to privacy," I answered him.

"That is your opinion," he responded coldly. "It is your idea of justice. Sadly, our ideals do not align. I will do whatever it is necessary to carry out my justice."

"And what is your definition of justice?"

"..." he remained silent as he focused his eyes on the road before us. "I do not know how to describe it to you, but...it is probably not the same definition that you would attribute it to."

I understand that my train of thought might be naive, but...there is a reason why I opted to join the Military Police instead of other branches of the Military after graduating from the Academy. I wanted to do my part and help deliver justice to this world, like the heroes in the books, help those in need and protect them from harm. This idealized perspective...it is the source of my idealism conflict with Alevian. I do not know what could have befall him in his life that would twist his mentality into the one that he carried.

If only everybody in this world is like him, then the world would be a better place, I sighed and rested my head against the head rest as I thought back to one of my most memorable memories.

When I was younger, I was kidnapped along with other young potential Casters and was to be sold off to a foreign country. But, I was rescued. That Lieutenant Officer who cracked the case, found who had taken us and where we were kept, and came to rescue us, he is the reason why I chose to pursue this field of work. I wanted to be like him, protecting civilians. 

What was his name again? I remember he was referred as...Alverik Enzel.

I glanced over at the Enzel on my left.

They have the same last name...

Sadly, they do not have the same attitude towards their job. From what I have concluded beyond a further doubt, Alevian is only in this for an ulterior motive, something that is not as simple as wanting to protect civilians.

That day, I followed Alevian to many different sites throughout the city of Vilheim, to where previous Virilion activity had been intercepted. He appeared to be scavenging for further pieces, trying to solve some sort of...murder as well in the process? I am still oblivious as to what he is doing, but...I want to try and believe that he actually cares. I've sensed that from him before, so...I only hope that Alevian is actually real and not a simple mirage that only existed for a brief second.

"So what did you get today?" I asked him as we boarded his car once again and drove onto the highway.

"There's definitely something rather big going on right now with the Virilions," Alevian answered. "Their recently activity has been larger in scale and more frequent. Besides, it seems that...they are trying to consolidate funding."

"What do you suppose they are trying to do?" I asked.

"That's what we're going to find out now," he said, looking in my direction and letting out a rather amused smile. "I hope you do not mind a bit of overtime work."