304. Preparation

As I inserted the earpiece into my ear, I concentrated my mind on the audio that is being transmitted through the device, doing my best to block out the ambiance noise inside the bar. This proved to be a rather difficult task to do when constantly there are drunks approaching me, trying to flirt when obviously I am not interested.

"Hello ma'am," a man in his late twenties whose face was flushed by alcohol. "Are you alone?"

I ignored him, hoping that he would leave.

"Come on," he continued pestering me. "I can show you a good time."

"You have three seconds to leave before I arrest you for disturbing the peace," I said, showing him evidence that I am a Military Police.

Upon seeing the royal insignia of the Vilheim Military Police, he seemed to sober up somewhat and quickly scurried off, cursing his luck under his breath as he walked off. When he is gone, I let out a sigh of relief as I finally secured my peace and quiet and could finally focus my attention on what Alevian had intended for me to listen in on.

"Cough once if you can hear me," his voice whispered softly through the ear piece.

I did as he said.

"Good," Alevian responded. Then, he started addressing the prostitute that he had taken with him. "Now, what information do you have for me?"

"Those Virilions have been visiting recently," the woman's voice said, "spending money like fools and looking like they netted a big catch."

At that moment, the pieces all fell together for me. I realized that the brothel manager as well as the prostitute are both informants, people that Alevian gathers information from. That makes sense. The best way for a gang leader to compensate his men is by awarding them with women. And when those men are intoxicated and engaging in sexual activities, they let their guard down, and thus some things that shouldn't have slipped would slip.

"One of my customers said something about...Sturz," the woman continued.

"Sturz?" Alevian questioned.

"I don't know what that is," the woman answered. "That's all they said. They also boasted that they have one of the best guards for their next big heist, and they kept emphasizing how big their next heist will be. T-this city will be fine, right?"

"Disregard your worries," Alevian answered coldly. "What else do you have?"

"They talked about a nightclub," the prostitute continued. "Some place in Kardia that their boss recently bought and where they are now holed up in. That's all I have."

"Is that so," Alevian muttered. "Thank you then."

Then came the sound of a door closing and Alevian walking down the hallway.

"Meet me at my car," he said softly before he ended the communication.

Disturbed by what little information I had in regards to Sturz, I paid for my drink and exited the bar. I quickly made my way through the busy streets of the red-light district and to the parking garage that we had parked the car. There, leaning against his car and waiting for me was Alevian.

"Let's go," he said, opening the door and entering the driver seat of the vehicle.

"Where are we headed?" I asked him.

"Kardia," he responded. "I had a list of all recently purchased night clubs in Kardia sent to me. We're headed to the most suspicious one."

"Right now?" I looked at him in astonishment as he quickly sped out of the parking garage and onto the nighttime Palisia streets. "Isn't that where the Virilion gang is based right now?"

"Yes," Alevian responded. "That's why we need to get to them before they can leave. Josef Virilion is highly likely to be there, and if we can get him, then we can make his gang crumble."

"But what evidence can we use to keep convict him?" I asked. "There's nothing in the records of him ever committing a crime. It's always been his men. What can we charge him for?"

"Nothing as of now," Alevian answered. "Even if we do have something, he will still walk free because his people in the government, as well as those wealthy corporation heads, will get him out of there. That's why, we must have something big. Something that can get him executed without any delays."

"What is that then?"

"Josef himself will provide it to us," Alevian glanced in my direction and grinned. "Sturz."

"Do you know what it is?" I asked him.

"No, but I have a feeling it will be something bigger than anything else in Vilheim history."

When we arrived at our destination, it was already after 11 PM. This has proven to be a rather long day, and this overtime period has gone on for longer than I had expected. However, the adrenaline pumping in my body knowing that we are so close to arresting the leader of the Virilion gang kept me energetic.

"Requesting backup," Alevian said into his phone as he spoke with the operator. "And requesting the use of lethal force. Okay...got it. For the Glory of Vilheim."

After hanging up his car, Alevian exited the car and I followed after him. He walked to the trunk of his car and waited for it to open automatically. I peered over his shoulder as he reached into it and retrieved what appeared to be a sheathed dagger that he attached to his belt. In addition, he also recovered an automatic rifle, a pistol, and ammunition.

"I assume you do not require any of this?" Alevian looked over at me and asked.

"No," I responded, bringing my hand to my pocket to feel the outline of the Gear that I was assigned.

"Good," Alevian closed the trunk of his car. "In two more minutes, we head in."

"Into that nightclub?" I looked in the direction of the dark nightclub that was illuminated by neon lights. Standing before the entrance were many ominous looking men that were probably armed as they patrolled the entrance.

"We can't wait for any reinforcement," Alevian responded. "We can't risk letting Josef get away. You're not scared, are you?"

"Who do you think I am?" I sighed and rolled my eyes.