233. Fulfillment

[Modern Day]

As if I had just endured a long nightmare, I slowly regained conscious. Opening my eyes, my vision was still extremely blurry, and in my mind, my consciousness was only slowly returning. Yet, my train of thought was still extremely hazy, almost as if I was still in a dream of some sort that has blended with reality, a dream that I will be unable to wake up from.

Slowly, the world returned to my senses. Gradually, I regained my perception of the world, seeing the world once again and hearing. The sound was at first a faint tremor, as distant as the nightmare that I had just experienced. Gradually, the sound increased in volume. It was the same cries that I heard in that nightmare.

Looking over at the source of the sound, I saw Muria being pinned down on the ground as her clothes were being ripped off. Slowly, I recalled what had occurred prior to my loss of consciousness.

How long was I unconscious for? 

I slowly tried to force myself up but failed due to the great pain I experienced at my head. As I grimaced in pain, Muria continued to resist, trying to fight back desperately. As if influenced by her desperate struggle, I too planted both hands onto the ground, using the strength of my arms to aid in the process of rising to my feet. I clenched my teeth as my arms and legs trembled from fatigue and weakness, yet I persevered.

Seventy three years ago...I wasn't able to keep that promise. But... I won't fail you this time.

Beads of sweat clung onto my forehead as I slowly raised myself off from the ground, little by little. I gasped for air as my vision became blurry once again. The ring of darkness started to close in on my sight once again as I felt light-headed. With the great stress and emotional and physical toll that this action was putting me through, I really wanted to give up and just succumb. I want to just collapse right here, right now, onto the dusty wooden floor that is covered with my spots of my blood with wooden splinters and screws from the rifle and other debris scattered about. I'll go unconscious anyways, and if I don't, then I probably won't even feel much from how numb my body is now feeling.

Fight through it, I told myself. This...this is nothing compared to what she has to go through... 

I steadied myself on my legs and then slowly allowed my upper body to rise, standing at my full height. My legs still trembled somewhat, but I forced myself to endure it. Slowly, I took a step towards the Warden, wobbling while clenching my teeth as I breathed deeply, trying to ignore the pain and force my weak body to support itself. Then, I took another step, stumbling forward and only able to maintain balance out of sheer willpower. Then another step, and another step, and another.

I leaned forward slightly, reaching down to the ground and grabbing the broken-off blade of the bayonet from the ruined rifle. The blade was dull and coated with some of the Warden's blood from earlier, but this was the best that I have. In fact, this is the only weapon that I have. There's nothing else here for me to fight with.

With the rusty bayonet blade in my right hand in a reverse grip, I continued to stumble forward, almost losing my balance several times and falling over onto the ground. But...I was able to persevere. I forced myself to continue on, forcing myself to ignore the pain, the fatigue, the desire to just...pass out.

As I neared the Warden's hunched over back, I squeezed the last bit of energy and power out from my body, forcing my legs to let out a burst of speed as I sprinted towards the Warden and jumped on his back. Like the way I had done so seventy years ago, I hooked my left arm around the Warden's neck, pulling back hard as I forced the muscles in my arm to tense up.

My actions forced the Warden's upper body to lean backwards, which startled the monster as he let out a loud roar. With his powerful right arm, he grabbed towards his neck but missed as he panicked. He continued to scratch at his throat, occasionally pressing hard against my arm and causing immense pain and possibly breaking the bone, but I continued to cling on.

With my right hand, I held onto the bayonet blade, but since I was also using that arm to hook onto the Warden, I was unable to deliver the killing blow. But...my actions had caused the Warden to ignore Muria, allowing her to crawl away with her jacket and the shirt underneath in ruins, exposing her naked torso that she shielded with her arms. That...her safety is all that mattered for me at first, so now with that out of the way, I could focus the entirety of my attention on this monster at hand.

"That guy created you," I muttered into his ear as I breathed deeply, burning every single unit of energy that is left in my body to hang onto him as he tried to fling me off of him. "So you're the same as them. I don't care who your parents are, but you are still an enemy."

With a final burst of strength, I pulled back even harder with my left arm on his neck, causing him to rear from the sudden pain as I pulled back on my right arm, aiming the tip of the dull, bayonet blade in the weak spot in his chest between the collarbones and the neck. Then, with the strength that I had reserved for this single attack, I plunged the knife hard into the Warden, successfully piercing through the skin and part of the muscle at the spot that I had aimed for., and eliciting a roar of pain from the Warden's beast-like vocal chords.

However, I am not done yet. Although the blade had stopped, I continued to push it inwards. My muscles trembled as my right arm exerted the strength, and after that initial resistance that was the bottom layer of his muscle, the blade broke through and began to move. I continued to push as the blade sliced through the entirety of the Warden's muscle and penetrated his right lung. I was certain that the blade had entered his lung, as the resistance that I felt was different. After confirming the penetration, I jerked my hand in a clockwise direction towards me, forcing the blade to turn in the Warden's body and opening a larger hole in his lung to allow his own blood to flow into it.

At that point, my body had lost all of its strength and was easily flung off of the Warden's body. However, I was able to stumble and land on my feet.

Don't fall over... I thought to myself because if I do fall, I am certain that I won't have what it takes to get up again.

My vision once again became blurry as it swayed, but even through this slight obscurity, I could see the Warden fall onto his knees and onto the ground. He held onto his throat, probably confused as to why he could no longer get enough air into his body. Since I had only drowned one of his lungs, it will probably take longer than if I had drowned both of them. Even if it doesn't kill him, it will be enough to render him powerless.

I stood there and merely observed the Warden as he kicked and struggled. But soon, his mouth started to foam up and his glowing eyes seemed to roll in its socket and to the back of his head. Then...the Warden was no more.

With a soft and silent chuckle, I looked over at Muria. On her face was still a terrified countenance, but it would appear that she is recovering from the shock from earlier. She continued to sob, but the tears seemed to be gradually ceasing.

Slowly, I limped over to her, stumbling past the Warden. My brain could no longer think at the moment, but for some reason, the single desire to be next to her burned itself into my mind. It was the only thing driving my lifeless body.

My breathing was heavy, my body felt weak, and every part of my body seemed to be in pain as the adrenaline from earlier slowly lost its effect. Yet, when I stopped and stood over her, in my mind there was a sense of accomplishment, a feeling of pride for myself as I fulfilled the promise I had made to her.

Slowly, I began to raise the side of my lips, but...I was unable to do so as my body collapsed from over-exertion. Time itself seemed to flow in slow motion as I fell forward towards her, and taking advantage of this opportunity, I gazed at her face, taking in her beautiful face up close as mine neared her's. Her large blue eyes still contained tears, and on her tear-stained face was a look of shock, a shock that was...pleasant.

I collapsed into her arms as I rested my head on her shoulder. My chest pressed against her naked one, and even though I had blood on my shirt, she didn't seem to mind at all. In fact, I could feel no resistance from her. Rather, I felt a welcoming warmth, a warmth that was so comfortable and pleasant that it slowly lulled me into a state of slumber.

Author's Notes:

Vote and comment.