Chapter 45- Fallout

Mia's POV.

How long had it been since my picture and name were slandered in every tabloid of the city?

Three days.

Three whole days but it was like an eternity. It was like I was Odysseus in Scheria.

Three days I'd been locked in the walls of my house. I thought my house would be my sanctuary and refuge but apparently I was wrong. The day one of my three days self incarceration, the paparazzi showed their faces here. Papa and Jay taught them a good lesson I assumed, for they didn't show up yesterday.

On the other hand, I had my inner circle fleeting to me like I was on my dead bed. I'd switched my phone off the entire time. I only responded to a few of Alan's texts. I hadn't received any texts from Alaric. Papa informed me Jane had come around but couldn't afford to let her enter due to the crows.

Yesterday, each and everyone of thrm took turns to come and see me. It was surprising for I hadn't expect it. Maybe they shouldn't have come for my actions would be unforgivable if I'm proved wrong in the end.

Alan came around very early. I was still curled up in my bed. That had become my new daily routine. Once I was tired from that position, I'd sit up right and glance outside the window.

"Mia." He whispered just when I was wiping my fallen tears off. He jumped on to the bed and pulled me into his arms. I let my distressed self melt into him. He was the only who could ameliorate my insanity.

"God Mia!" He cupped my face in his hands and held me even tighter. I delved in his scent. I was happy to see him even if no words were fully expressed on it. "I'm so sorry."

I nodded and gave him a weak smile. If I had a list of suspects, Alan wouldn't even be on it. I knew perfectly well he wouldn't go this extreme to punish me even when he had reason to.

"I promise you. I've been doing every thing in my power to have them retract that headline." He looked at me before I sniffed and adjusted myself underneath his weight.

It didn't matter if he tried to take the headlines down, the entire city knew. They were probably cooking another additional story to this one.

Again I nodded. I could tell my eyes were puffy from the excess crying and normally I'd care about how I looked before Alan. But today was different. He understood my ordeal.

"I'm not going to stop until that thing is taken off, I swear to you."

"I just wish there was a way to make all this night terrors disappear." I finally said and chuckled. I wish I  had enough money to even move out of this country. Start  whole new life with my baby. At this point I didn't even care which of the Starvnos brothers the child belonged to. I'd escape and never return. Raise my child by myself.