Chapter 18- Alaric

Listen to Mean by Taylor Swift

Mia

For a fleeting second, I felt an uncomfortable churning in my chest as I stepped out of the elevator. I halted and got hold of my breath before resuming my steps.

What the hell was that?

I batted my eyes sharply and turned in the direction of my seat.

I was now on the seventh floor, working with the editing department, and I must say, they were kind of bougee.

Every individual seemed to be so prim but classy and posh. They understood their responsiility.

The usual helter skelter that was experienced on the fourth floor wasn't in practice here. And by helter skelter, I was referring to Keith. His inability to stay put. I always assumed he had nails attached to his butt.

I had to admit, I sort of missed him too. His annoyance and snobbery.

I slipped into my chair and placed my bag on the desk. My phone vibrated and I reached for it. It was a text from Jane.

I replied, telling her not to forget to call me so that we'd go for lunch together.

Setting my phone aside afterwards after  silencing it, I got out the manuscripts that needed massive editing.

Between time intervals, I'd check my phone to see if Alan had texted or called. But there was nothing like that. I wondered what that demon of a brother had done to him.

I decided to text him instead. I waited for an immediate reply but none came. I sighed and put my phone away.

Just few hours to lunch time, and I had neared my target for these few hours.

As compared with the typing, I was in love with being an editor. It was hectic but you knew what had to be done so there was no additional headache to the one you'd already get from performing your exact duty.

My phone beeped and I reached, positive it was Alan.

It's time for lunch.

The text read, and unfortunately it was from Jane.

****

"Oh! I love this. So soft and mmm." Jane licked her lips as she nibbled on some meatloaf.

I scooped some strawberry ice cream into my mouth.

"Alaric's here." I burst out before she could bit into her next chew.

"What do you mean by that?" She set her meatloaf down, her eyebrow raising up and down in sheer annoyance.

"Alaric's here. I was with Alan when he showed his face in his house." I clicked my tongue.

I still wasn't able to get his rude remark out of my head. He had issues, big issues and I would appreciate if he didn't descend them on me.

"What does he want?" She asked, almost rhetorically.

I shrugged. "Aren't you going to finish your meatloaf?"

"I suddenly lost my appetite?" She pushed the plate away from her.

"Ha!" I gave her a ridicule look. "Can you believe he insulted me?"

"Sister, I ain't surprised about that. Alaric is an asshole. But, I do know one thing. Alan has at least three months to go before the turnover so it can't be what I'm thinking about now."

"What are you thinking about?" I decided to torture her. Her facial expression when I told her about Alaric was priceless. It was almost like she'd seen her father's ghost. The color from her face dropped like wiping off a canvas painting.