Chapter 28- Remorse

Alaric's POV

In my entire twenty seven years of existence, never had I been humiliated and embarrassed by anyone the way Mia North did that day at the hospital. Not being a hypocrite about it, but I was positive if it were me, I'd do the same or maybe even worse. I wasn't surprised at her lash, I already perceived her to be a spitfire. I simply let her have her way with me not because I was powerless, I understood the pain she was going through and let's face it, I was responsible for it.

Her hatred for me was pretty evident which didn't bother me the least for now we were in the same boat, paddling on the same wave of emotions. But forbidding me from seeing her little brother for a misfortune I caused was like preventing a toddler from taking a free candy. It wasn't possible.

The day at the hospital when I was speaking to her father, I knew without doubt her eyes were fixed on us. After all, that was what I wanted. She was in a state of pique at her dad for not pressing charges at me. I was shocked by that gesture from her father. It was something I never expected to happen, for a person to be so forgiving.

That drove my instincts to unfathomable places and determination marked on me as I decided to make things right with Jay. He was such a sweet little boy. I understood Mia's tantrum. I had intended on making him forget the struggle the accident had brought upon him whether Mia Spitfire agreed or not.

I had made it a plan to see him at least twice every week. That was every Tuesday and Fridays. Regardless of my business schedule. I'd have them postponed or cancelled.

A chuckle escaped my mouth when she tripped and fell in an attempt to storm at me yesterday. I'd personally not enjoyed this week due to its occurrences but that was one particular scene I would have replay in my head for all eternity.

I paused at the foot of their apartment, contemplating on whether I should go inside or just skid away. I'd never been good with kids and regardless of Jay's friendly personality, I could never predict his actual feelings for me. Mr North had been nice to me. He, I believed lived in the bubble of modesty and goodwill. I took in a deep breath and came out of my car. The part of me that wanted to drive away was so pressing in my veins. Other than the showcase of feeling contrite, and wanting to keep Jay on the happy side, I found no pleasure in befriending this family. I guess this was me practicing the concept of doing what was right. I'd been here twice, this would be the third time of me visiting. After a few minutes of courteous pleasantries, the atmosphere would be awkward and I would start to regret showing my face here.

This time around I prayed spitfire would be around. That would create a more hippy scene to the boring ones that was always exhibited. I pressed on the doorbell. The door bulged open and there she was, the caretaker of the house. Leigh Anne. Not exactly the female I was anticipating to see though.

"Mr Starvnos. What a pleasant surprise." She greeted, and stood out of the way.

"Leigh Anne. Good day." I responded and allowed my steps into the living room.