Chapter 27- Disbelief

Mia's POV.

Inhale, exhale, repeat.

A week has passed since Jay's almost fatal incidence. My mental state was in shambles. My entire body felt like the weight of a ballon. My life felt like I was working thousand jobs at the same time. At least things would be easier for me, now that Jay had stubbornly insisted he'd like to come home. The doctors preferred he remained in the hospital for at least three more weeks but Jay refused. When the doctors again suggested wheelchairs for me, he instantly declined. Not that he could readily walk on his two legs now, but he preferred crouches to the wheelchairs.

That sign of strength and stupidity nudged Papa's senses a little bit. The strength part of course. Ever since Jay's self motivation speech of I can do it, I don't need wheelchairs, Papa had also been trying to get up from his own. He would forcibly mount and take few steps. Of course, I'd never seen him in the act. But Leigh Anne informed me of his development the first day, and I knew it was due to Jay. Papa had been inspired by Jay's ordeal. I couldn't shake the words that ran through my head. There was a silver lining after every storm. And if this was enough to get Papa to start galloping like a horse, who was I not to be jaunty about it.

There was a time, I spied on him. He was in his bedroom. My heart leapt out when he stood, took a step but lurched down on his knees. That fail didn't stop him though. He struggled but got up again anyways. He was making an effort. It wasn't going to be easy but at the long run, it was sure going to worth it.

Leigh Anne had been the one assisting in the house. Whenever I had to go to supermarket, she would come over and babysit my two grown babies. Mrs Cooper knew my story now and took things easy on me. She made me work for a few hours without decreasing my wage. There were times, she'd allow me take items off the shelf for home.

My mind had been traveling to farfetched places of late. I'd been thinking a lot, it was like I'd developed generialised anxiety disorder. I tried to numb the feeling by spending time with Jane, who'd been super supportive by the way.

Alaric had also been playing hide and seek with me. Like I had time for him. I was clear when I warned him not to show his filthy self anywhere near my brother. But apparently that didn't penetrate his thick empty skull, and he was till visiting Jay between hidden hours. Yesterday, I went to the hospital after work. I saw him with Papa. I expected Papa to vent his spleen on the man who had almost killed his son, but he didn't ire. In fact, it was the direct opposite of what I anticipated. That, however, didn't surprise me. Papa had always been meek and soft. Whatever they spoke about, I was sure it ended on the note of Papa forgiving Alaric.

"Mia, I'll be heading to Daniel's college today to visit him. So the supermarket will be closed early." Mrs Cooper said, staring at me in a peculiar manner. I didn't understand her settled gaze until I stared down at my hands. I held a napkin and I had been wiping the same plastic surface for the past fifteen minutes. I sighed and threw the dirty napkin in the bin.

"Yes, Mrs Cooper." I forced out a smile and sat grumpily on my chair. I felt her near presence, and I kept my gaze straight ahead.

"Listen Mia, I know that you're in a tight place right now. Everything will be fine." She warmed her palms on my shoulders.

"I know, Mrs Cooper." I turned to her, impressed with how clean she'd been these days. There were few occasions where she smoked but that was better than being drowned in your own drool. "I'm just tired you know."

"I know, but trust me, you'll get enough rest when the time is right. All of this shall pass" She smiled at me and hugged me. I held onto her, feeling at ease with her comprehension to my dilemma.