Chapter 12- Headlines

Mia

It was a beautuful May morning. The cumulus clouds displayed such marvelous patterns in the sky, almost similar to a kaleidoscope.

So beautiful a morning would have certainly been my favorite day if it weren't for the stares I was getting. I was been gawked like a hawk. It was so unnerving and so bizarre. It was almost like I had turned into an alien to the masses.

And no, I wasn't wearing Gucci from head to heels, or any fancy makeup. My frizzy hair was up in its number one hairstyle; a bun. My freckled face was enhanced with talcum powder. I was in my blouse with my woolen polyester skirt. And, that was just about it.

So why were eyes on me like I was walking around naked?

I crept out of the Starvnos house of Dishes, with a steaming cup of coffee in my hand.

My head throbbed. It was like I had migraine. I didn't know what accounted for that but I guess I'd been too tired. The coffee would rejuvenate me and I could bounce back to effective work. I needed to go the extra mile in my productivity today.

I had been commended on my hard work, but that didn't make me swollen headed, it only increased my will to do more.

Walking the few blocks I needed to skip before getting to the workplace, I ignored the odd outstares and whispers, everytime someone passed by me.

I was sure, a few wanted to stop and ask me questions. But I dodged their gazes.

God!

I wished I was in a hoodie. I changed my route by using the crossover. Turned out, that part of the road had more eyes for staring than the snakes on Medusa's head.

Thankfully, I arrived at the company, all tired and almost depressed. Almost. I wasn't going to let a couple of stares ruin my day.

A couple?

Wouldn't you be lucky?

My subconsciousness bickered back at me.

There were a lot of fascinating people they could waste their time and gape at. I knew I had one particular person I could ogle at all day, that was if I wasn't caught.

Alan.

"See who made front cover?" Keith leaned by my desk, the second I slumped in my seat. I had to admit he was one good looking champ, despite his annoying assertiveness.

He held a magazine in his hand and a stupid smirk on his face. I wasn't ready for him. And, whatever he had mouthed out earlier simply just flew right over my head.

He dropped the magazine on my desk with another stupid grin on his face. "You're famous, Mia."

I flipped to the front cover of the magazine and I would have swore, it was like someone had just thrown cold water on my face.

Alan Starvnos hids new girlfriend, read the headline, typed in extreme bold.

Oh holy mother of cheese and biscuits!

There I was with Alan, with his hands draped over my shoulders and his face bent to shield my face. Which, clearly wasn't effective because my face could still be made out.

"Wow, this... Is simply amazing." Keith clasped his hands together. A fake surprise settled on his now stupid face. I wanted to strangle the stupidity on his face.

I facepalmed as realization struck me in the guts. I guess that was why people had their eyes glued on me.

Too bad, for low key thinking I was looking good today.