Chapter 25- Aftershock

Mia

I don't know how many of you have heard of the expression, work and happiness. This morning, I googled on how to stay happy and productive at your workplace, which was weird because it never crossed my mind when I was in Starvnos. I read over thirty five quotes on this title, ready and pumped for work.

Not to sound ungrateful and like a mean bitch, but working in Clayton's was like a disease. The past few weeks I'd been working there provided a new story to tell everyday. Some rascals would turn up in the shop and take whatever item they wanted. I reported to Mrs Cooper who only shrugged it off and did nothing about it. I pondered on why she'd allow herself to be taken advantage of in that pitiful way. I honestly felt bad for her. I wished I could help her but then, I'd get beat up by the inner voice in my head which was more mean than the Heathers.

As soon as I got to the entrance of Clayton's, my glowing face had now glazed in the direction of perceived hazard. I dropped my bag on the counter and headed towards Mrs Cooper's abode. I swiftly turned the knob only to find her sleeping on the floor with a cigarette butt lying next to her face.

A tight lipped smile crept on my face and I shut the door behind me. I decided to clean the supermarket. By then it was eight. The only thing that kept me happy and productive was the thought of Papa. The procedure was done and he was back home.

The doctor had given us effective measures that would enable Papa to adapt to the new pair of hands. Other then the training Leigh Anne was responsible for, this would help fight any resilience his brain would present in his quest to walk.

I wiped off the beads of sweat on my forehead and got rid of the dirty water. I came in the opening, and Mrs Cooper was standing at one place like a lost soul. The harsh scent of the alcohol could be smelt on her. She took a step but struggled to keep any balance. She gazed up to her hands and fingers, like waiting for her brain to send signals as to what to do. She lurched forward, but stumbled.

"Are you okay? Maybe you should have a seat." I pulled out a chair and aided her into it.

She gnawed in pain. Obviously from a hangover. She brushed her hand over her forehead. I towered above her, watching her intently.

"Quick, help me clear out that room. Take every bottle out. My son will be here soon. He can't see me like this." She had her head down when talking. For a minute, I wanted to tilt her head up and see the colors in her eyes.

"Yes, I'll get to it but do you want me to get you anything? Some pain reliever." I monitored her face like the object of sympathy.

"No I'll be fine." She wiped her nose and knotted her fingers. My eyes were moist and I hurried to do her bidding, not asking any further questions.

I came back to the open space and she was still rooted in the same place. It didn't look like she moved even once. She was staring at nothing. Only an unknown force could predict the thoughts circulating her mind.

"Mrs Cooper, I'm done." I approached her and she made minimal eye contact with me. I contemplated on whether I should ignore her distress and go about my duties. After all, that was why I was hired.

As I moved towards the counter, I paused and swallowed hard. "Mrs Cooper, I don't know if I should even say anything. But if your son is enough for you to pretend you're alright, then you should make an effort, and be alright for him. Genuinely."

"He thinks I've been sober since I returned from rehab. It only got worse. I kept it a secret from him. And that's the reason I persisted he left for college. That was the only way I could have the freedom and destroy myself."