Episode 2- Broken

Mia.

The glass door harshly slammed in my face the soonest I attempted to plead with the owner the umpteenth time to employ me. This was the fifth shop I had been to and none of them was ready to hire new workers. The whole situation basically felt like a nightmare. One I couldn't wake up from. I was tired, my feet hurt, my throat was dry from the excess thirst and I was so frustrated. Anxiety was crippling me, even worse I hadn't told Papa and Jay about the sudden misfortunate turn of events. I wanted to secure a new job before blasting the news to that. But so far, it wasn't going so well.

I imagined the reaction which would escape from them if I told them. Jay would break down uncontrollably, Papa on the other hand would stay silent, only to drown in pool of tears later at night.

Not wanting any of these reactions, I kept the bad news to myself. I woke up very early in the morning and ventured out to look for a new job. Today was a Saturday and Jay would be home so he could take care of Papa.

I prayed with every step I took that the next shop I entered would have a vacancy. At this moment, I would gladly accept any job offered to me without hesitation. I figured I had to get out of that bubbly shell of limiting myself to only jobs associated with books. Now, I was ready to broaden my scope, waitressing, bartending, cleaning, broker. Any decent job to constantly aid support my family.

I walked by a grocery shop, it was quite big and I assumed they'd need a worker. I briskly entered the shop and spotted a bald man in a polo shirt and glasses at the counter.

I undoubtedly knew that was the shop owner, saying a quick prayer and brushing whatever off my skirt which was also one of the nicest skirts I owned. It was a tie bud skirt with horizontal straight line pattern at the end. I matched it with a green flowery blouse, nicely tucked in.

Truth be told, this was my mom's attire, one of the few we didn't put on sale. Instinctively, I'd always believe this was my good luck charm. I worn it the day I went for a job interview at the community library.

Though today, it seemed, the good luck button was off or because I hadn't washed it.

Oh screw it.

I wasn't done with my job search and it wasn't even noon, something good will pop up. You know what they say, when one door closes, another opens right?
I'm sure that saying is debatable, because I'd also heard. When one door closes, a window opens. I'm not really sure but you do get the picture I'm trying to paint. So wearing my dress of faith, I sauntered towards the man. He smiled at me, a smile that said; I'm so glad you've come to shop here. I returned with an awkward smile and tightly held onto the envelope that held my curriculum vitae. As the sight of the envelope and like the work of magic, the man's smile disappeared to an undescribable wave of expression.

"Good morning sir. Please how are you doing?" I cleared my throat.

Liar, there's nothing in your throat!

"Good morning." He greeted back, then he started to tap his fingers on the counters. "But I'm sorry, there's no space for vacancy."

Excuse me, did he just read my mind or did I have the words, employment seeking imprinted on my forehead.

Either way, that was undeniably bizarre .

"The sales aren't really moving up the ladder and we really can't afford to pay any worker." He stated emphatically.

"Sir, please I would willingly take anything. Cleaning, I can even arrange and pack the groceries daily. Please, I really need this job." I persisted as the tears filled my eyes.