Episode 4- Finally

Mia

I stare at my feet as a disgusted grin spontaneously settles on my face. Ive patched the worn out parts of my moccasin with glue but its appearance is still an eyesore. Sighing heavily, I take in deep breaths and focus on the fact that Im in a very nice skirt and a very nice blouse. I style my hair into a tight bun and apply powder on my face to enhance the freckles that occupy my cheeks.

Today I attend the job interview at Starvnos House of Publishers. It's been two days since the big discovery in the newspaper. I spent the previous day at the hospital with Papa. His condition is better than before. At least the intense pain has dissipated for now. I failed to inform him about the job vacancy ad. Trust me, I mastered all the forbearance in this world not to have blurted it to him. Jay and I promise to keep it a secret till after I auspiciously pass the job interview.

I need to have the feel of a job in my hands.

The other half of my day was spent finding useful information on the Starvnos house of Publishers. Of course I know about them like the back of my hand.
I know that it was established in 1960 by Ingrid Starvnos. It's a family owned property, The Starvnos. You know what they say about little drops of water making a mighty ocean, well that's what happened with Ingrid. Six years later, he established the biggest publishing company this continent had ever known. As a thing of legacy, he bestowed it to his son, Eros. Eros also fought tooth and nail and elevated the company to his highest potential. When he retired, he handed to his son Alastair Starvnos, who is the current CEO of the Starvnos House of Publishers. And obviously will also hand the company over to his children when he retires.

I glance at myself for the last time and leave the basement. Its my prayer to return with a job. I feel optimistic. It's a fact something stupefying will happen.

******

The bus comes to a stop and I get down. There it is,, the great Olympics. The monstrous edifice beams with elegance and sophistication. Its outstanding aesthetics makes it stand out and gracefully makes the surrounding buildings look like fixer uppers.It's the oldest building in the city but it soars with an impeccable modernist awe. The name Starvnos house of Publishers is sculpted on a copper fountain which dribbles tiny bits of water from its outlets. There's also a statue of the late Ingrid Starvnos with a book in his hand just beside the fountain. So many shrubs and trees are planted at right side of the company, nourishing the environment with fresh air.

I march to the welcome entrance where a security guard robustly stands. He submits a warm smile, one which feels genuine, justapoxing the fake greetings of others. I return the smile and go through the revolving doors, almost tripping at the end.

Clumsy me.

The inside walls display gothic designs and architecture of great authors and prestigious magazine labels. Another security guard approaches me and leads me to the receptionist. A blond and very pretty. I tell her of my mission and she hands me a brochure and summons back the security guard. Following the security guard, we both hop into the elevator. The elevator comes to a halt on a floor: I didn't take notice of the number. The security guard gestures me towards another blond who sits by a large desk. I figure she's also a receptionist and ponder if blond receptionists are present on every floor. The absurd thought leads to the production of chills within my internal organs.

What if they hire only blonds at first sight?

I saunter to her but my eyes travel to the work space. Blonde's area cut the room into half with her large counter. The rest of the work space are packed with desks. I make a head count of about seven to nine working desks. Each with a computer and busy workers who seem so intricately focused on their duty. Some with their unbroken gaze from the computer, typing like their lives depend on it.