Chapter 39- Battlefield

Alaric'

I stepped out of my shower, draped in my towel. I had a few errands to run today. I sauntered to my bedroom to get quickly dressed. Alan and I hadn't spoken since that fateful night. Mia had also been avoiding my calls. Like what did I expect? I was going to approach Alan, I just needed to appeal to him at the correct time.

A piercing continuous ringing of my doorbell chimed on, making me growl underneath my breath. Who the hell was that?

I advanced towards the door and swung it open. The next thing I felt was an excruciating pain rippling through my nostrils. I touched it, and grimaced at the sight of blood spurting out. I foresaw another punch setting in, just as my sixth sense had cautioned, and I caught the strong arms before it decapitated my face any further.

"How dare you Alaric. How could you do this to me?"

And here I was thinking I could approach him anytime sooner, apparently that was never going to happen now.

He threw his hands flying forward against me, this time I couldn't catch and it connected with the soft flesh of my cheek. Good thing I had good balance, that blow would have sent me gliding through the atmosphere.

I rubbed my cheek to suppress the erupting pain. I must admit, this was exciting and new for me. The golden boy had finally gone berserk about something. It was a first eye feast for me as I'd always regarded Alan to always submerge his real feelings.

I flinched from the pain and held my hands in defeat. I would never engage in blood bagarre with my brother, knowing perfectly well I was the one at fault.

Even more weird, Alan and I were engaging in a brawl because of a woman. A woman I found myself wanting more and more every damned day and night.

"She told you huh?" I wasn't sure if it was the almost kissing scene that had caused Alan to rage like Hades but looking at his purely red tomato face, it wasn't.

His teeth seethed. "You're a bastard Alaric. You're a fucking bastard."

He could use the F word too. My elder brother was showing me a lot of new sides I never saw in him. Which was a good thing, he was finally emulating the hard tool I was.

"Alan." I said, wincing at the pain wreaking on every part of my face now. "That night was a mistake, I promise you."

A cruel sneer formed on his face. Anger was getting the better of him. It wasn't a captivating sight for I could sense the burning rage hissing through his body like a deadly poison. The wrath consumed like one, engulfing his morality and destroying his sanity and the love he had for a sibling.

"You could have had any girl you wanted. You knew she was with me and yet you went after her. Why?" He asked in a defeating tone, one that also made me sigh in regret.

That was an unsolved question for the gods. I had no plausible answer for that, myself.

"I didn't go after her Alan. You've got to believe me. It was a mistake."
I was even bemused at him for not believing me. Here I was trying to explain the events of the situation, something I would never have done.

Normally, had he shown up in my apartment looking like the French revolution, all I had to do was pass a snarky remark, one that would leave him speechless and I'd walk out but here I was. Three months away from greece had really turned me into a marshmallow.

I was tired of repeating the same words over and over again. No new response was going to slip out, so he'd better take this.

"You must think I'm stupid. I loved her Alaric." He ran his hands through his hair irritatingly.

"And she loves you. Trust me she does. You have no idea how I didn't want to be telling you that but she does. Thst evening when you saw what you saw,....she declared her love for you." That still burned me to the core. I wished I was the one on that receiving end.

"And yet she slept with you." He torted.

Every word stung, only fueling the fire that burned inside him. Every phrase was like gasoline in him, as his fist began to clench. "Do you love her?"

"Man, you shouldn't be asking me questions like these. You should know me by now." I only said that to discard the question. I wasn't ready to admit how I felt for Mia to Alan, that would lead to a blood bath.

"So what, Were you trying to prove a point?" He asked, giving me questioning look.

"What point?" I perched at the edge of the couch, embracing the tranquillity that was swaying in the living room.

"When you said she was....a slut." He gazed down at his hands. It was obvious the mentioning of the word had stung him.

It was hard to justify that statement as I couldn't recall uttering those words. I let my hands caress my forehead. This wasn't the day I'd planned at all.

"No, I wasn't trying to prove that. Alan you know me better than anyone else. You know I'm the kind of person I'd rather be gulped down by an anaconda before I admit my wrong and apologise but this is me swallowing that ego, and spitting in front of you that I'm sorry."

"Leave New York. Go back to Greece. Your service isn't needed here anymore." He said, then faced me with his back.

Reasonably, that was exactly how it was to transpire. Alan would return then I'd go back to Greece, for things to be normal.

"I'm sorry but I can't do that Alan. I'm not going back to Greece now."

"Don't annoy me Alaric. Leave this instant!" He growled the spun to me with an icy glare.

Newsflash, that didn't twist any bone in my body.

"You want me to nowhere near
Mia, just say but succumbing as a coward by telling me to go away won't solve anything. You already have her love, what the hell are you afraid of?"

He gripped my shirt then hauled me against the wall. "Leave!"

I broke free from his grasp then chuckled. "You're afraid she would care for me as she does you. This is funny you know, never did I ever envision the both of us in this circumstance. Being head over heels in love with the same woman, and you waging a war between us for her." A war he'd already conquested before it commenced.

He rolled his eyes to the heavens. He was infuriated, there was no doubt about it. My words were pissing him off the more and that was my intention. Clearly.

"I'll stay away from her as you wish. After all I was planning to. I can't ignite more fiery inferno than what I have already. I wish you the best."

Having the last word, I vanished out of the living room. Whenever he was also ready to leave, he patently knew the way out.

Mmm..this is the shortest chapter I've written but Im so tired yet I needed to give you guys an update. Trust me, the next chapter will be long and interesting.

Don't forget to vote, comment and share to your friends. Let's make Mia and the two brothers who're now enemies famous 😂. Until next time guys.