78. No more in sight...forever in heart

With shaky wobbly steps Swarnima entered a house which was quiet. Pin drop silence. As she entered further the only sound she could hear was that of a ventilator and beeping sounds of various machines. She opened the gate to the source of sound. She was froze on the spot. A boy was sleeping on the bed and his body parts were connected to devices which monitored his working. The rise and fall of his heart beat on the machine caused a similar drop and rise of Swarnima's heart beats. The oxygen pipe was connected to him but Swarnima also felt lack of oxygen. She quietly sat on the stool  beside the bed.

"I am sorry. But, I doubt he will survive a day more. All his organs have stopped functioning. Not even a miracle could revive him. We tried our best but his body doesn't respond." A doctor informed Swarnima.

Swarnima did not respond. She was just staring at the sleeping  boy. Her eyes were filled with love and joy. She gathered courage and touched the boy's hand. No response.
She took a step ahead and touched the boy's forehead and whispered in his ear "Dheyu, D found you now come out." No response from Dheya.
"Dheyu, get up now, don't trouble me. Please get up. What is  all this? Does this hurt?" Swarnima was talking like a little girl. Abhedya was standing at the door and the scene was killing him. He sobbed silently but stepped inside to comfort Swarnima. Eklavya stopped him and nodded in a no. "Give her alone time."
Abhedya just stood like a rock on the door.

"Dheyu, last warning. Either get up or just go. I have had enough of your tantrums." Swarnima ordered her sleeping brother. No response.

"Swarnima, there is no point child. He won't respond. His body has stopped accepting any medication. Most of his vital organs have failed or are dropping. Just pray he goes easily now. Give him freedom from these medicines and chains of machines he is caged in." Doctor tried to explain to Swarnima.

Swarnima listened to the doctor patiently then asked, "are you sure their is no hope?" Doctor hung his head low and nodded in a 'no'

"Eklavya, can we legalise euthanasia in our state?" Swarnima asked Eklavya but she was only looking at her brother and rubbing his palm gently. Not a strain of tear in her eyes.

"Nim, I.. I.. don't know.. we just can't end his life. Let it be natural." Eklavya spoke in the softest tone possible.

"He has had enough. Please detach his ventilator doctor. I want him to die in peace. No machines, no injections. Just sleep... deep sleep. Let him be gone now." Swarnima said intently rubbing Dheya's hand.

"Nim please relax. Doctor, we can take him abroad.. give him the best treatment. Please just tell me what exactly is the problem I will make arrangements." Abhedya was desperate. He couldn't see Dheya dying and Swarnima's suffering.

"Kunwar sa, he is being treated by the best, but his trauma was so intense that he could never recover. Doctors lost hope long before but we didn't so we kept his treatment going on. Guess, it's time." Eklavya told the truth to Abhedya.

"Are you God? He gives and he snatches life. Let him decide. Why did you tell now? Could you not inform before. She could have stayed with her brother. We could have done something." Abhedya pulled Eklavya's collar and whisper shouted at time.

"Let's talk outside Kunwar sa. I am also tired with all these accusations and hate filled eyes." Eklavya's helplessness was strange. Abhedya left his collar and came out.

Eklavya drank water and requested, "Kunwar sa, please sit. It's a long story."
Eklavya inhaled deeply and narrated, "When we secured Swarnima and Dheya and struck a deal with Dushyant that he won't harm them and you all. In return we will spare his life.

The iron Queen was traumatised with Swadesh's death. Her husband's death didn't break her so much as Swadesh's.
The fact that if the identities of the heir to the throne and protector were not swapped his children Rudra or Pri could have died, this thought made the Queen petrified.