27. Better to fight

Days were passing. Swarnima's schedule was monotonous. Home-college-tuition-project-repeat. Abhedya was also busy with his studies. He was determined to maintain his record of coming first in his department. It was his last year in college and he did not want to compromise. Swarnima and Abhedya did not make any efforts to talk to each other. Only if they crossed each other accidentally a small smile or 'hey, how are you?' was what they exchanged.

Adah was happy to see the distance between her target and her obstacle.

It was Thursday when the principal of the college called the toppers of all the classes. Abhedya with two other boys from the first and second year were waiting outside when he saw Swarnima coming.
Simple yet sexy she looked. 'SEXY?' Abhedya's mind questioned. 'Yeah... Of course, she is one hell of a bomb, in case you haven't noticed.' Pitched his heart. 'Really?' questioned his brain. Abhedya was ogling at Swarnima shamelessly.
She was feeling conscious because of his continuous gaze and checked her clothes, hair and face. She reached to where the boys were waiting and they went inside.

"Good morning students. I have some very good news for you all. Our college is participating in the prestigious 'BABBAGE QUIZ' this year. It is being hosted by 'Dehradun college of science' and you all are chosen from our college to participate. I am very confident that we will win this prestigious quiz."
The boys were very happy and excited with the information but Swarnima was hesitant.

"Miss Swarnima you don't look excited?" The principal questioned her.

"I am not sure about outstation sir, I doubt I will be permitted." Swarnima brought forward her doubt.

"I have heard you are an orphan ma'am, then why do you need permission?" The boy from second-year Vayu raised his suspicion.

Abhedya glared at Vayu pulled him from his collar and scowled, "Is this the way to talk to someone? Who told you she is an orphan? She has many guardians and they are VERY, VERY PROTECTIVE about her."

"Abhedya! Please leave his collar. I will not tolerate this kind of behaviour." The principal warned Abhedya and continued, "Vayu, that was a very insensitive statement. Please apologise."

"I am sorry ma'am. I did not mean to hurt your sentiments." Vayu apologised to Swarnima and she nodded in an 'it's okay.'

"Swarnima please don't worry. I have already taken permission on your behalf. I am sure now there should be no trouble in going. Besides your 'guardians' are always there with you." The principal said the last part looking at Abhedya who smiled in response.

The principal continued, "There will be a little photo session of you all in an hour. These photographs will be used for three purposes, one, sending them to the quiz hosts. They have to prepare banners for all participating colleges. Two, your photographs which will be used for identification...as in ID cards etc. Three, the brochure of our college next year will have you all on the cover page."

The boys had happy smiles on their faces but Swarnima knew the actual reason behind using their pictures for next year's brochures. Abhedya was the face of the cover for three years but for the other three, it was their first.

"Sir, I think for the brochure, you should choose someone else in my place. I am not camera friendly." Swarnima raised her objection to the principal, but before he could reply Abhedya intervened, "What are you saying? You couldn't stop posing and loved being pictured ."

Swarnima could not believe what Abhedya just blurted out. The boy had no idea what drama he had created.

"I am sure Abhedya knows all your secrets Swarnima. So, please cooperate. It's for the best of this college and the state." The principal knew Swarnima could do anything in the name of the state and he was right, she agreed.