1

Kendall Ranley

"CLEAR!" My voice yells as the defibrillator paddles make contact with the patients chest. It's been a jam packed day in the ER and I'm not looking forward to losing another patient.

"He's gone Ranley." I hear a voice behind me that belongs to the chief of surgery, Michael Drawme. He's been an incredible mentor during my surgical residency and I couldn't be more thankful.

"Time of death, 15:29." I sigh out while I take off my latex gloves. "That's our fourth one today."

"We can't save everyone kid." Michael gives me a pat on the back for encouragement as I see my best friend, Amber approach me.

"Are you on-call tonight?" Amber asks me with a wide grin on her porcelain face.

"Oh god, what are you up to? No, I'm not on-call tonight why?" I ask and she claps her hands together.

"Perfect!" She squeals. "We are so going out tonight!"

"Amber, I have to be in early tomorrow. Besides you know I don't go out, how about pizza and a movie instead?" I suggest with a persuasive grin and she rolls her eyes.

"Quit being such a bore. One drink, it won't kill you." I contemplate if I should go or not, Amber is a wild party animal. I planned on studying tonight like usual but maybe a drink would be a nice change.

"Fine, one drink." I agree and she throws her arms around me.

"We're going to have so much fun!" She squeals again and I peel her off me.

"One drink Amber, one." I clarify but she runs off towards the direction of our lockers. God only knows what she'll try to throw me into tonight but I will constantly remind myself and her, only one drink.