Chapter XXIII

They've been quite happy for a while, haven't they?

It had been a day like any other so far.

Jimin was helping Seokjin cook dinner when he started feeling a slight pain in his abdomen. He took a small break and sat down but eventually brushed it off and managed to cut the rest of the carrots.

The pain increased during the next hour, and Seokjin had already caught onto his sharp inhales. Then Jungkook came into the kitchen, unannounced, going straight to Jimin and asking what was wrong. The Alpha had smelled his discomfort from many rooms away and could sense his mate was in pain.

Jimin only grimaced before he began crying, complaining about the weird feeling. Jungkook sent the elder Beta to get the medics and call Jimin's doctor immediately. He stayed with the Omega and did his best to soothe him. He sat him down and pressed kisses on Jimin's hands.

The Alpha tried his best not to panic. He had no idea what was going on, and he felt useless as he watched his lover wail in pain. Jungkook did his best to help Jimin breathe, drying his tears with the sleeve of his shirt while caressing his hair. He was scared only when it came to his mate, and to see him like this was frightening him.

Miscarriage.

The only word that left the doctor's lips Jimin could process. It rang in his head like a bell, repeating and repeating, over and over again. He was devastated.

It's your fault. You're a bad Omega, and you betrayed your Alpha.

No, no, no! Tears streamed down his face as his grip on the sheets tightened.

Alpha gave you pups, and you failed him.

The voices inside his head were screaming so loud he had to cover his ears. His Alpha. He had failed his Alpha.

He was right, Ilhoon was right! You're worthless, useless!

Jimin was hyperventilating, his lips and fingertips going numb as he struggled to breathe. Why him? Hadn't he suffered enough? Why did his baby have to die?

A nurse gave him a sedative to help him calm down. He didn't have the courage to look at his mate, but he could smell the disappointment in his scent before he blacked out.

Jungkook wasn't there when he woke up.

Jungkook was distraught and heartbroken. He left as soon as Jimin had been put to sleep, not bearing to look at him. The man was silent during the car ride back home. He clenched his fists and bit down on his cheeks to stop his jaw from shaking. The breaths he took in were ragged, and his sight blurry from unshed tears.

He walked past his friends and family, who tried to approach him back in the mansion and locked himself in his study. He slumped down on his chair and took out a bunch of documents he had been pushing back for a while. Jungkook needed to think about something else.

Jimin was a wreck in the worst way possible when he got back to the mansion. He had called Yoongi to take him home, the other Omega beyond devastated upon hearing what had happened. They spent the ride with Yoongi holding his crying best friend, his anger toward Jungkook growing with every passing moment.

He couldn't fathom why the Alpha would leave his mate behind and then have the audacity of not telling them what had happened. If he could, he would beat the shit out of Jungkook for hurting Jimin like that.

The next few days were horrible. Jimin didn't do much other than cry in his bedroom, Jungkook's pillow flush against his chest. His friends kept him company, which he appreciated, but it wasn't what he needed. And even though Yoongi and Taehyung cuddled him, he didn't feel better. He needed his mate, but he hadn't seen the Alpha since he left the hospital.

Taehyung had told him that the raven was drowning himself in paperwork, cooped up in his study, not talking to anyone.

All of a sudden everything in his life had crumbled down. Jimin didn't know what he should do to get the attention he needed from his mate. He wouldn't be able to cope alone.

After dinner, five days after his miscarriage, the Omega had had enough. He and his wolf were mentally and physically in pain, and although he was scared, he knocked on the door and entered Jungkook's study.

The raven's scent was gloomy, and it hit Jimin like a train. He had suppressed his own scent ever since leaving the hospital, not wanting anyone to smell his sorrow. Jungkook had his head down as he read a paper, dark circles around his eyes. His wolf was cold.

Jimin gulped.

"What do you want, Jimin?" Jungkook's voice was hoarse, defeated, nothing like he usually sounded like.

"I haven't seen you in days," the blond said, fiddling with the hem of his shirt.

"You've been fine without seeing me for weeks at a time, so you should be fine." The younger's voice was just as calm as Jimin's. The whole ordeal was making the Omega uncomfortable and wary. It shouldn't be like this. A week before they were still living a dream. Now it was becoming a nightmare.

"Jungkook," Jimin began, new tears making their way down his pale cheeks. "I need you. I can't do this on my own. I know you're hurt too, so why are you pushing me away?"

Jungkook mumbled something and rubbed his tired eyes with the heels of his palms.

"What?"

"I said that I need space!" the Alpha snapped, raising his voice while turning to look at the other who winced from the sudden outburst of aggression.

"But can't you understand how this is fucking up not just my body and mind but our relationship as well?! I need you, Jungkook!" the Omega cried, his hands clenched into fists.

"Just leave me alone!" Jungkook yelled back, not bearing to see or hear his mate in this state.

And Jimin did. He slammed the door shut and ran into their bedroom, hiding in the depths of his closet where he had built a makeshift nest. He sobbed in the darkness until he was out of tears, clutching his stomach and contemplating what he should do.

He didn't know how he would get through this alone. How could his mate not help him? Maybe he really just was incompetent, not worthy enough to be comforted.

Maybe his mother had been right.

So uhh... how's it going?