Chapter XVIII

Jungkook was letting out his frustration in their gym, the punching bag already giving up on him from the violent treatment. The Alpha's eyes were red, and his canines were out, his upset wolf not letting him rest. He was growling, and his knuckles were bruising under his wraps and gloves, but he couldn't stop.

Jungkook was angry because even though his people had been looking for his mate for a whole 24 hours, there was still nothing to indicate where Jimin was.

But above anything, Jungkook was disappointed in himself. He had already failed twice as an Alpha and mate. He hadn't been able to keep his lover safe or protected.

His father and all of his friends had told him not to beat himself up because of it; he couldn't have possibly known Jihyun would attack and abduct Jimin after a year of silence.

It wasn't a good enough reason for Jungkook, though.

"I will kill him!" the raven yelled loudly and threw a harsh punch at the bag, the face of the Park Alpha replacing it in his mind.

The bag gave out. The material ripped and fell to the ground, next to heaving Jungkook's feet.

"Son..."

The Alpha flinched and turned around, gulping when he faced his father's sharp eyes. His arms were shaking from the intense workout, and he was exhausted to the point of passing out, but he didn't care.

"Please take a break, Jungkook. This won't do you any good," Junghoon said with a long sigh, taking in the state of his pup. "I know you blame yourself, and I know you are worried for him, but this," The man pointed at the ripped punching bag, "isn't what's going to save him."

Jungkook clenched his fists and looked down to his feet, his wolf letting out guttural sounds as it sat stiff. He took his gloves off and stretched his fingers, grimacing at the state of his red knuckles, some drawing blood. That was going to sting.

"We've been looking everywhere. I need to find him, I need to..." Jungkook breathed heavily as he clenched his fists. His eyes started watering.

"Jungkook..."

The older Alpha saw the tears, saw how broken his son was.

The last time he had seen Jungkook cry was when his own mate got killed. The boy had still been a child. Losing his mother had turned the young Alpha detached and cold.

But after Jimin arrived, he became happy. His eyes glimmered again, and he bloomed into a new, much more colorful flower.

Junghoon himself became stoic when he lost his mate. The loss sucked the life out of him, and he used to drown himself in work to numb the pain. To see his son brighten up also helped him move on from the grief.

The Alpha walked over to Jungkook and pulled the shaking boy into a hug.

"We will find him, and you two are going to be happy and give me and Mikyung-ssi lots of grandpups," Junghoon said softly, caressing the raven's back. He didn't remember the last time they had hugged.

Jungkook buried his face in his father's shoulder and let his deepest emotions out. He had been holding all the pain inside for the past day, and he was at his breaking point.

"I'm a failure," the young Alpha whimpered, fingers clutching onto the back of his father's jacket.

"No, you're not, Jungkook. I'm so proud of you. You're my only pup, and I love you so much. And Jimin loves you too," the elder whispered, stroking his crying son's hair.

The younger Alpha didn't respond, but Junghoon could smell how his pheromones softened. It made him smile as he took the scent in. It felt like yesterday when the boy was still a little baby.

"Try to think, son. Where could he be?"

Jungkook closed his eyes and calmed his breathing, letting his heavy head rest against his father while the man continued.

"He's not in Jihyun's apartment, right? They also weren't in the Park mansion because it got thoroughly checked, and I supervised it myself. Does Jimin have an apartment?"

Fuck.

"Yes. Yes, yes! Fucking hell!" Jungkook groaned, quickly releasing himself from his father and running out of the gym.

Junghoon looked after him shocked, but hopeful that his home would regain the happy atmosphere.

"Watch over him, would you, my love?" the male said quietly, looking up to the ceiling. "Our son grew up to be a good man. I know you're proud of him, too."

He knew his late mate was smiling upon him. He was sure of that.

Jimin was startled awake when the door of his room bursted open, the handle hitting the wall with force. He didn't have time to get up before Jihyun was already pulling him out of bed and dragging him to the living room.

"You will die. Here and now," the Alpha rasped out, a gun in his hand.

Jimin stared at the barrel directed right at him with eyes full of fear. Amongst the loud thumping of his heart, the Omega heard hurried voices from outside.

"Your saviors seem to have arrived," Jihyun snickered. "Too bad they're just gonna find your dead body. No cuddles for your Alpha, huh? Everything would have been better if father had killed you right off."

Jimin was so scared his whole body was shaking in fear and panic. He couldn't imagine what Jungkook would do if he would get killed, if he suffered the same fate as the Alpha's mother. He knew the man would break.

"Y–you know," the Omega began, trying to keep his voice as stable as he could amidst his rapidly beating heart. "Mom l–lied to us all. S–she was already pregnant with me when father fo–forced her to mate him. He k–killed my real–"

The Omega screamed when a burning sharp pain pierced his left shoulder.

"That was a warning," Jihyun spat, a small sliver of smoke coming from the barrel of his handgun. The Alpha walked closer to Jimin, who clutched onto his shoulder, tears streaming down his face and a pained grimace stretched on his lips. "You were always worthless, always a fuck-up. If you thought someone would love you, you're an idiot." Jihyun was right in front of the Omega's face. "That Jeon is a fool who doesn't understand what mistake he made mating you. I'm just doing him a favor."

Something must have snapped inside of Jimin. He knew his brother was wrong. Jungkook loved him just as much as Jimin loved him.

The pain in his shoulder got numbed by the anger-fueled adrenaline pumping in his veins.

Jimin pushed on the Alpha's chest, making the taller male stumble backward. Jihyun's grip on the gun loosened, and the blond grabbed it from him. He took a few steps away from his brother and pointed the gun at him.

Jihyun's laughter echoed in the room.

"You are pathetic, hyung," the Alpha mocked, slowly walking toward the shaking Omega.

Jimin's heart was beating so fast he couldn't breathe well. He was panicking, his head spinning as he woke up from the adrenaline trance that had swallowed him.

His hands shook, the finger on the trigger hesitant as he stared at the smirk on Jihyun's face.

"You are weak. You can't kill me, even though all it needs is one pull of the trigger."

Heartbeat in his ears, hands shaking, cold sweat on his forehead.

"You can't do it."

Jihyun's voice in his head.

Pressure.

Loud noises were coming from the hallway outside of the apartment. There was solid banging on the front door. Someone was trying to force it open.

His ears were ringing.

"You can't do it."

Shuddering breath.

Bang.

Thud.

Silence consumed Jimin.

Another thud.