Chapter 50.5

KUMI AYAME's POV

"Everyone..." I watched each players' faces as they greeted me.

"Goodmorning Kumi!" They said in unison.

"G-goodmorning...what are you doing here? You have practice!" I said.

"We'll eat breakfast with you!" Sugawara smiled.

"But you have prac—"

"Whatever you say, we're here to spend the whole morning with you!" Tanaka cuts me off as he ruffled my hair.

"Keishin—"

"We need a break from practices too, kiddo." Ukai sighed, crossing his arms.

And I stopped arguing as they took their seats surrounding my bed.

"Alright." I smiled.

——

The next few hours were spent talking, playing truth or dare, pissing Kageyama and Tsukishima off, teasing Noya and Hinata about their heights, and teaching them a few strategies and tactics I've come up for the nationals that's approaching in less than two months.

"So once either Tobio or Suga-san tosses the ball, the wing spiker which is either—"

"Noya-san I made that cake for Ayame to eat. Not for you." Tsukishima spoke bluntly but Noya only continued stuffing his mouth with the shortcake that the blonde made.

"You don't mind if I take a small bite, do you Kumi?" Noya turned to me, taking two slices in his hand.

I showed him a smile. "Not at all Nishinoya! You can all get a slice!"

With that, Ennoshita grabbed a small foldable knife from his bag and began slicing the cake evenly as he distributed it to each of us.

"Anyway," I continued, earning the setters', wing spikers' and Keishin's attentions back. "Tanaka-san and Asahi-san..." and I continued on.

I grew up with fancy breakfasts with chefs serving me variety of foods that all depends on my mood and/or when I have a game. I really appreciate their efforts, really.

But those were different. This was the best breakfast I've ever had in my life despite sitting in my own deathbed.

It didn't matter though, as long as the best people were with me, that's what made my entire morning better.

Until eventually, the morning had to end, and they start practice at 1pm.

"Hey, it's already 12:30." I broke the cheery atmosphere. "You all should get going now."

Daichi faced me, a frown replacing his smile and the others followed. He nodded, standing from his seat.

"I guess we should head to the gym now," said the captain.

Sugawara nodded and ushered everyone to stand.

I turned to Tobio who sat beside me, giving him a small smile. "That means you too, idiot."

He sighed, nodding hesitantly before giving me a tight hug as he whispered. "I'll see you tonight then." Then he placed a small peck on my lips and parted.

Everyone gave me hugs one by one and it finally reached Tsukishima. He held a bored face but still wrapped his lanky arms around me as I did the same.

"Thanks for the cake, Kei. Can you come over here tomorrow and bring my guitar? I just need to record one last song." I whispered.

"Tsk." Tsukishima released the hug and faced me, nodding.

"We'll leave now, Kumi. See you tomorrow." Asahi smiled as the others waved me goodbye.