Chapter 6

KUMI AYAME's POV

Hinata, Kageyama, and I quickly ran out of our classrooms the moment the bell rang and headed straight for the gym. I had no choice, Hinata forced me to come early with them.

"Hinata, try opening your eyes when hitting the ball, gives you more advantage where to aim than to just rely on Kageyama's toss." I said, spinning a volleyball in my hand.

"He's too dumb to do it." Kageyama spoke flatly from behind making the orange haired boy fume.

"I'll toss for you," I suggested, "try doing it."

"REALLY?" Hinata beamed, "You'd toss for me?!"

I nodded with a smile and turned to Kageyama. "But first try your weird quick together with Hinata actually aiming for the bottle right there by the corner."

"I don't think I can hit it," Hinata doubted.

"You can if you can see it," I encouraged.

They nodded and got into their positions. I stepped farther as they gave a thumbs up. I threw the ball above Kageyama while he waited for it to reach him.

"Aim for the bottle Hinata!" I shouted as he started sprinting. Kageyama tossed the ball, aiming for Hinata's palm.

His eyes are open, but he seemed cautious. I thought to myself.

Hinata strikes the ball, sending it in a straight direction which was nowhere near the bottle.

I sighed, taking a ball in my hands and approached the two. "Kageyama, will you throw the ball at me?" I asked politely and he nodded, taking the ball from my hands.

I replaced Kageyama's position while Hinata went back to his.

"Try hitting with my toss," I said to Hinata. I nodded towards the black-haired first year as he threw the ball above my head. "Aim for the bottle with eyes open this time, Hinata!"

Hinata started sprinting towards the net, then he sprung high as I focused my eyes and hands on the ball.

The spin and force I place on it can affect the toss, I breathed. More backspin; not too much strength and--
I tossed the ball towards Hinata, mentally acknowledging myself as I predicted the outcome.

The ball slowed down the moment it reach Hinata's palm; he had his eyes opened as he hit it with direction this time. Then the ball flew towards the bottle with faster speed as it successfully knocked it down.

"Nice, Hinata!" I yelled while he landed, his eyes glued intently at his palm.

"I..." he mumbled, "...I c-can see it. Clearly. I was actually able to...think where to strike."

"Why can't you hit with my tosses, boke!" Kageyama yelled.

I laughed, gesturing for Kageyama as he walked towards me. "Hinata, try jumping repeatedly like you always do but only hitting the air while you wait for Kageyama and I to finish talking." I suggested, receiving an agressive nod as he started springing in the air.

"I don't see much difference with the process of how you do it, but I saw the difference of our tosses; speed, force, and the spin." Kageyama said, stopping infront of me.

"It was more like, a toss that stops." I said.

He tilted his head, raising his eyebrow.

"This is how to do it-- gah!" I let out a short scream, closing my eyes as I felt myself falling to the ground and hitting it with a thud. I then felt a heavy weight ontop of me; groaning, I rubbed my head as I opened my eyes.

A pair of steel-blue eyes were staring straight at mines, that's when I realized it was Kageyama.

"K-K-KAGEYAMA I DIDN'T MEAN TO KNOCK YOU DOWN!" I heard Hinata shouted in fear.

We both froze with Kageyama straddling me to the ground and his hands beside on either sides of head.

"S-sorry. A-are you o-okay?" Kageyama stuttered, for the first time.

"Y-yeah..." I replied, not breaking the staring contest. I felt blood rushing in my cheeks as I notice the closeness of our faces.

Then the door swung open--

"KAGEYAMAAA!"

We turned our heads to the noise, who turned out to be Tanaka and Nishinoya yelling in shock with the other members staring at us by the doorway.

"HINATA!" Sugawara quickly rushed towards the frozen orange-haired boy and covered his eyes with his hands.

"Didn't know the King had it in him," I heard Tsukishima muttered.

I turned back to Kageyama, our eyes widening together as we finally processed what just happened.

He hurriedly scrambled on his feet, regaining his posture as I did the same. We stood besides each other, facing everyone as if nothing happened.

"I-it's not what you think it is!" I stammered, raising my hands up.

"Hinata. Dumbass." Kageyama grumbled with anger and embarassment as his fists were clenched tightly.

"Atleast find a more private place!" Sugawara-san yelled in a worried tone.

"It w-was an accident Suga-san," I stuttered nervously. Turning to my side to see Tanaka-san refraining Kageyama from attacking Hinata. I quickly clapped my hands, clearing ny throat to gain everyone's attention. "Let's start practicing if you want to win the Inter-High prelims!"

They all turned to me, suddenly feeling a sudden rush of encouragement as they shouted in unison.

"YEAH!"

---

"You see, Kei, blocking is not only a technique to deflect the ball, but it's a technique to slam it down on the opponents side." I explained to Tsukishima as he listened boredly with hands raised in the air.

"I know that," he replied.

"Tsukishima atleast show some respect!" Hinata shouted, making the tall blonde roll his eyes.

"Just line your block with the opponent's dominant hand," I said one last time before moving on to the other players.

Asahi-san, Tanaka-san, and Hinata were working hard on their spikes especially with their aim; Yamaguchi-kun, and few other 2nd years were practicing their serves; Sugawara-san was the setter this time since Kageyama and Kei were practicing the blocks, and Noya-san and Daichi-san were behind them ready to receive.

After instructing everything they need to work on, I sat back on the bench as I was trying to catch my breath.

Shit. I shouldn't have overdone myself.

"Are you okay, Kumi?" Kiyoko-san broke me out off my thoughts. "You look a little pale."

I raised my head to face her, suppressing a smile. "I'm fine. This is just normal."

She nodded slowly, handing me something as I took it carefully from her hands. I unfolded it, seeing a black jacket with the words "Karasuno Highschool Volleyball Club."

"Put it on," Kiyoko-san smiled.

I nodded with a smile, stretching my arms out as I put on the sleeves. The jacket rested comfortably on my torso, giving me warmth and positivity.

"1...2..." Daichi shouted as I saw everyone shuffling on their feet.

"WELCOME TO KARASUNO HIGHSCHOOL VOLLEYBALL CLUB!"