Chapter 32

KUMI AYAME's POV

"Are you okay? You seem pretty pale lately." Shimizu suddenly said.

"Hai hai~" I replied with a smile as I chugged down the water. "Shimizu-san," I faced down.

"Hmm?" She hummed in reply.

I fiddled with the water bottle I held nervously, "After the first half of the prelims, I will be very busy again."

She turned to me, smiling reassuringly. "It's fine, Yachi and I can manage. But it'd be better though if you'll be there to train them for the second half — assuming they will make it."

"Of course they will," I smiled. "Is it okay that I'll be away for a few days? I also think I won't be able to watch them play."

"It's fine for me, but you'll have to ask the boys. But they will understand." She said softly as she handed a towel to Yamaguchi. "Why though?"

"Just another business meeting that'll take days," I breathed, putting down the water bottle. "I'll go back now. Thank you!" She waved back as I made my way to Kageyama and Hinata. I observed them a few feet away, watching all the failed attempts they made. Hinata's timing was off or sometimes Kageyama's tosses were the mistakes. I sighed, catching their attention.

"Hey," Kageyama turned to me.

"Your tosses are too short." I deadpanned as he stiffened, nodding firmly.

"Nē nē what about me, Kumi?" Hinata spoke.

"Your timing is off, Shoyo." I replied.

They sighed hopelessly together, going back to their positions.

"Try not to think about adjusting for Hinata this time," I muttered to Kageyama. "Shoyo, be less conscious about your movements." They nodded in understand and started repeating.

I scanned the gym bouncing with volleyballs everywhere. The Karasuno were adding extra effort to there new plays this training camp, making me sigh in relief. But just as I thought everyone were doing their best, the same person exited the gym again.

"Why Kei?" I sighed. Then I noticed Yamaguchi's face written with worry as he quickly handed his water bottle to Yachi and chased Tsukishima out of the gym.

"Aren't you gonna talk to your friend?" Kageyama said behind me. "You can go, we can handle this."

"Nah," I turned to him, suppressing a smile. "Yamaguchi got him." He nodded, going back to practice.

"We can't force him," Daichi spoke.

"He'll be fine Daichi-san."

"But if ever he plans on quitting, I'll do everything in my power to make him stay." The captain mumbled quickly before walking away.

I breath deeply, Yamaguchi, please knock some sense into Kei. I said in my mind and turned my attention back to the others.

——

As I excused myself a few minutes later after Yamaguchi returned back, I walked my way towards gymnasium 3; stopping in my tracks while familiar voices spoke inside.

"It all depends on you if you have the moment or not," Bokuto's voice resonated throughout the gym. "It doesn't really matter what happens in the future, or how many tournaments you win. The joy beating the guy infront of you, and when you're able to pull 120% of your potential is everything. Well that's how its is for me atleast, doesn't mean it applies to everyone."

I rolled my eyes as I smiled, leaning against the doorway.

"But once that moment arrives," he pointed at Tsukishima. "That's the moment you'll be hooked to volleyball!"

"Heh," I scoffed as I caught their attention. "For once, Bokuto-san actually said something that made sense."

They turned to me—

"Me-chan back me up for once!" Bokuto whined. Then he clapped his hands and suddenly appeared beside Tsukishima along with Kuroo. "Alright! I answered your question, now help me with the blocks."

"All right now, come on hurry up." Kuroo ushered Tsukishima towards the net as the blonde had no choice but to follow.

"Wanna join Ayame?" Akaashi asked.

"Hep us out with the blocks," Kuroo said.

I hesitated for a moment, then their eyes were digging into mines forcefully. "Fine," I sighed and walked beside Tsukishima and Kuroo while Akaashi and Bokuto started moving on the other side.

——

The next day came. From atop the hill we watch the Karasuno executing their penalty for the 29th time since the start of camp.

Once they arrived infront of us, panting and catching their breaths, Kiyoko, Yachi, and I handed the players their water.

"Thanks...Kumi," Tanaka breathed as he quickly chugged down the water while messing my hair. I laughed, slapping his hand away and walked to Kageyama. "Here," I handed him a towel and his waterbottle.

After he drank, he placed his towel on his head and wiped the sweat away.

Suddenly, I yelped out as I felt myself being pulled towards him; he held the back of my head and buried my face on his chest.

"Kghagheyama," I muffled as he wrapped his long arms around my waist to hug me tighter. I looked up, seeing his usual straight face looking down on me. "You're sweaty." I deadpanned.

But he only buried his face in my hair and mumbled. "Just a few seconds," his voice was exhausted but soft.

"..." I sighed, letting him wrap me in his embrace tighter as I listened to his heartbeat.

He then released the hug and faced me. "Shimizu-san said you'll be away again."

I frowned, "Yeah. I was planning on telling all of you when the camp's finished." I interwined my hand in his as I smiled reassuringly, "I'll try not to take long."

"You better," he pouted.

"Oi Lover boy!" We cocked our directions to where the voice came from, seeing Tanaka cackling at our deadpanned expressions with Sugawara, and Daichi snickering behind him.

"We'll get back to the gym now for the next match," Daichi said.

We nodded as I released my hand from his and pulled his shirt towards the others who were walking towards the gym.