Chapter 26

THIRD PERSON POV

"Noya! Get up!" Kumi yelled from the service line as Nishinoya fell face flat on the floor from exhaustion. "It's only been the 16th serve, this isn't like you Noyaaa!"

"S-s-she's a monster..." Noya mumbled on the floor weakly.

"Y-you'll get it right," Asahi comforts the libero nervously.

Sugawara chuckled at the sight and turned to Kumi who was just patiently waiting to serve. "Daichi, how 'bout you practice receiving Kumi's serves instead?" He scanned around, looking for the captain. "Huh? Where's Daichi?"

"He's passed out too, Suga-san," Ennoshita spoke as he pointed towards a lifeless man on the ground.

"Haaah?! What happened?" Sugawara exclaimed worriedly.

"He's been trying to receive Kumi-chan's serves too and eventually passed out during the 8th failed attempt."

Sugawara facepalmed, taking a ball to practice his tosses. "Hey Kumi-chan, can you help me--" he stopped mid sentence, suppressing a smile as he watched Kumi teaching Yamaguchi and Kinoshita serves.

With her around, the team will be alright. The grey haired thirdyear smiled softly before turning to his other teammates.

"Senpais!" Kumi yelled for her upperclassmen's attention as they all scurried infront of her. "Let's polish that synchronize attack now, shall we?"

"ALL RIGHT!" They cheered and got into their positions.

Kumi and Tsukishima stood on the other side of the court, "Since Kageyama's practicing on his own in the other gym, Suga-san will be the setter. You still remember what I thought you Suga-san?"

Sugawara smiled with a thumbs up.

"Kei and I will block your attacks, so make sure you all are in sync and make this successful."

Everyone nodded confidently. Then the brunette first year served normally, making it easy for Daichi to receive. Suga positioned himself under the ball, concentrating closely as everyone started moving in sync towards the net.

To Tanaka! Suga said in his mind as everyone jumped together. He tossed the ball to Tanaka; Kumi didn't budge from her spot since she knew the outcome.

"Ite!" Everyone landed back as the ball falls on Tanaka's shaved head.

"It's no use standing here if the ball won't even get past the net." Tsukishima deadpanned.

"Have faith in your team, Kei." Kumi pouted and turned to the frowning third-yeard and second-years. "It's alright! Try harder!" She walked back to the service line and served the ball.

"Nice receive!"

"Sugawara!"

"Just follow the ball Kei," Kumi instructed as Tsukishima nodded.

The opposing team did the synchronized attack again; they all jumped, until Sugawara tossed the ball behind--

"Geh?!" Tsukishima deadpanned, seeing them fail again.

"Asahi-saaaan," Kumi called from the other side, "that was your ball. You jumped too late."

Asahi shuddered in fear. He nodded shakingly and went back to his position.

"You'll get this!" Kumi encouraged, boosting the upperclassmen's ego.

An hour later, they were still trying to get the attack right. But most of the times, they almost got it right. After a bunch of errors, Coach Ukai, who came from coaching Hinata and Kageyama separately since morning, entered the gym.

Kumi noticed his presence and told everyone to take a break. She approached the exhausted coach and handed him a towel. "How's Hinata's training going?"

"Doing better with Gramps," he replied, "told the old geezer you were back by the way."

"What'd he say?"

"Said he'll beat you up when he sees you for suddenly disappearing."

Kumi laughed, "I can't remember the last time Ikkei-san scolded me. Anyway, how 'bout Kageyama's training?"

"Still rusty," replied Ukai as he scanned the gym, an impressed look on his face to see everyone motivated. "You should check on your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend," the brunette girl mumbled, suddenly blushing as a moment last night appeared in her mind.

"Yachi probably hasn't taken a break since this morning."

"Poor Yacchan. . .Can you take over?" Kumi asked Ukai. Coach Ukai nodded, clearing his throat as he caught everyone's attentions. "Make sure to let them practice the synchronize attack, Asahi-san's jump serves, Noya's sets, and Yamaguchi's and Kinoshita-san's serves. Don't worry, they got the idea, just let them keep practicing. I'll be off to the other gym now."

Ukai waved his hand at Kumi as she walked away.

Kumi peeked her head in the doors of the other gymnasium to see Yachi panting for air and Kageyama who still looked energetic as ever as he tried hitting the bottle.

"Yacchan!" Kumi called, entering the gym. The blonde and black-hair first years turned their attention towards Kumi, sighing in relief. "I'll take over now, go rest with the others."

"Kumi...thank God..." she panted, holding Kumi's shoulder for support.

"Kageyama I told you to think of others!" Kumi scolded the black haired setter. "Apologize."

Kageyama looked frightened, then he bowed infront of Yachi. "I'm sorry."

"I-it's fine K-Kageyama-kun!" Yachi laughed nervously. "I'll go now, see you two later." Then she exited the gymnasium, leaving Kumi and Kageyama alone.

Kumi sighed deeply, running her fingers through her brown-hair as she turned to Kageyama. "How are your tosses?"

"Still no improvement," Kageyama mumbled emotionlessly.

"Then keep practicing," replied Kumi, resting her hands on her waist as she walked closer to the black-haired setter. "How are things going with you and Shoyo?"

Kageyama didn't reply, looking away.

"I see," muttered Kumi.

"About..." Kageyama finally spoke, "...the thing when you said 'Im on Hinata's side'...what do you mean by that?" He pouted as he spun the volleyball in his palms.

Kumi smiled and replied, "No matter how fast or strong a quick is, there will always be counterattacks to it, and I think Shoyo realized that. He just wants to try something new that the opponents won't expect."

"Why are you calling him Shoyo?" pouted the Kageyama.

"DON'T CHANGE THE TOPIC BOKE!" Kumi fumed, frightening the tall boy infront of her, then she sighed and calmed down. "You see, Tobio, the one who has leadership in an attack isn't you, it's actually Shoyo."

"Don't get the wrong idea, the one who has leadership in an attack isn't you; it's the little shrimp." Kageyama widened his eyes in realization as Oikawa's voice rang in his head. Kumi turned to him, tilting her head.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

Kageyama snapped back to reality, "N-nothing."

"You'll know what it means soon when you and Shoyo will play with your new techniques again," she smiled, making Kageyama's heart beat faster.

She's so carefree, he thought. Suddenly, he grabbed Kumi by the waist and pulled her closer to him; their bodies now touching.

Kumi giggled, ruffling Kageyama's hair. "You're in a middle of a practice, idiot."

"I know," he smirked, pressing his lips on hers. Kumi moved her hands behind Kageyama's neck, passionately kissing back. Kageyama bit her lower lip softly, begging for entrance, but Kumi denied as she pulled away.

"Not now Tobio," she whispered, flicking his forehead. "We got two hours left till the gym closes."

"Fine," Kageyama sighed, giving her a quick peck on the lips before returning back to his place.