Chapter 36

KUMI AYAME's POV

Karasuno just ended their first match of the Interhigh prelims with a win against Ohgi Minami high. A score of 16-25 in the first set and 13-25 in the second set.

Right now, they're playing Kakugawa High along with its 2-meter tall player. Current score is 4-1 with Kakugawa in the lead, which made Karasuno call for a timeout.

Every attack they make would simply be blocked by that 2-meter guy, probably frustrating them at the moment.

"No matter how high I jump, I just can't get through!" Yelled Hinata.

"Shoyo," Noya called, "volleyball isn't just about mid-air battles."

I sighed, catching the players' attention. "Nishinoya's right." Then I gestured for them to huddle closer as I spoke. "I've noticed something. See how their #9 only hits cross shots mainly on the direction of where his body's facing."

Daichi had a finger on his chin, coming to a realization. "So we'll most likely abandon watching out for any straight shots...?" He said unsurely.

"Yes. Follow his body movements and defend from there. Judging from their warm-ups earlier, #9 doesn't have speed and senses; only height, but that's it." I instructed sternly as the whistle blew. I then gave them a reassuring pat on the back as they returned back on court.

"Hyakuzawa!"

Their 2-meter guy sprung up as his body was facing his right direction in which Nishinoya quickly aligned with it. He slammed the ball, but fortunately was save by the Guardian Deity flawlessly, sending the ball towards Kageyama. He tossed the ball to his left, seeing Hinata jump up diagonally. Just a second late, the 2-meter player saw his movement and quickly moved to block Hinata.

But just as he aligned with the orange-haired boy, expecting for a spike, Hinata went for a dink and calmly let it fall to the other side — scoring a point.

"Nice Shoyo!"

And the game went on with Karasuno winning the first set.

The second set has started for a couple of minutes now with Karasuno in the lead. The points that have mostly brought them forward were the duo's new quick, the synchronized attack, Kei's block, and Asahi's jump serves.

Their development plastered a small smile on my face.

In a spur of a moment, Karasuno was at match point. Just one more and they'll win; they'll qualify for the next round in October.

Asahi barely received the ball, just enough for Tanaka to rise it up to Hinata. Infront of Hinata was the 2-meter guy, ready for any attack Hinata might pull.

The orange-haired boy jumped higher and same goes with the opponent infront if him as he put his arms up to block the attack—

Seeing Hinata's movement, I internally smirked.

Hinata hits the ball just by the fingertips as it sends the ball landing outside the court.

And they won.

——

After they triumphantly celebrated on court and thanked the opposing side, they jogged back towards us with victorious smiles.

The feeling of beating the guy infront of you, what a nostalgic feeling. I thought to myself, looking down. How am I supposed to tell them-

"Kumi-chan! You look so down!"

I lifted my head up upon hearing Noya's energetic voice.

"We won! So why are you frowning?" He asked curiously as the other boys faced me with the same curious eyes.