Chapter 12

KUMI AYAME's POV

Karasuno lost against Aoba Johsai. They were so close; the ball was tossed perfectly and Hinata was in the best position of hitting the ball, but Seijoh was able to block the attack.

I watched the depressed players hung their head low as Coach Ukai and Takeda-sensei said a few words. After the meeting ended, we packed our bags and walked our way out of the gymnasium.

Hinata walked beside me, facing the ground, I placed my hand ontop of his shoulder, making him turn to me.

"Nē, Hinata," I started, "if you think it's your fault, it's not. Err, uhm, I'm honestly not good with words but even I thought it was a point." I rubbed my nape, hoping what I said was enough to make him feel less upset.

"Did you...ever had a moment like that too?" He mumbled.

"What do you mean?"

"When you're positive you'll make that point, but instead you ended up--"

"Of course," I laughed, "tons of times, it's depressing but I was able to pick myself back up."

"Ayame-chan."

Hinata and I froze on our spot. I took a deep breath, burying my hands in ny pocket. The orange-haired boy turned around first, a shocked look on his face.

"The G-g-great King! K-Kumi! Who is he to call you by your first name?" Hinata stuttered.

I facepalmed, slowly turning around. "Yes, Oikawa-san?"

"Let's have a talk," Oikawa's tone was serious.

"I see no reason to."

"Angel, atleast let me explain," he pouted, going back to his childish antics.

Everyone were now looking at us. Murmurs and whispers filled the air, even his fangirls stopped squealing just to look at the scene and the other Karasuno players behind us stopped and turned.

"She's our m-manager, G-great King!" Hinata stepped infront of me with his arms spread wide.

"Chibi-chan, I get your depressed from your last attempt, but I just want to talk to Aya-chan," Oikawa raised a brow.

Before I was able to step forward, I felt both of my arms was being pulled back by two pair of hands.

"Eh? Your annoying fangirls are waiting behind you. It's unusual for a playboy like you to talk to one instead of many." Tsukishima snickered from my left.

"Stay away, Oikawa-san," Kageyama said calmly from my right.

Oikawa sighed, a smug look on his face as he rested his hands on his hips. "You got guts, Glasses--"

"Shittykawa!"

Oikawa stood stiff, trembling at Iwaizumi's presence. "I-Iwa-chan! G-gomen!"

Iwaizumi stood beside him, sighing. "Sorry for disturbing you, Kumi-chan."

I flashed a smile, bowing at Iwaizumi, "No worries, Iwa-san! But we should really get going now."

He nodded, grabbing Oikawa by the ear as Hinata quickly pushed my body away from the two Seijoh players.

"Aya-chan~" Oikawa's dramatic cries slowly faded as we stepped outside.

Without Iwaizumi-san, Oikawa would probably end up following me back home. To think that Oikawa has gotten stronger the last time we played volleyball together made me slightly proud that he always puts his passion first.

"I'm guessing that was your boyfriend?"

"Gah! K-Kei! Not too loud!" I whispered.

"The Great King is your boyfriend?!" Hinata shouted loudly enough for everyone in the team to turn to me.

I cringed as their stares got intense.

"You have bad taste in men," Tanaka crossed his arms.

"A power-couple when it comes to volleyball," muttered Suga-san.

"He's my EX-boyfriend!" I sighed, rubbing my temples. Waving everyone off. "No more questions please, just...get some sleep."

----

The whole bus ride back to Karasuno was silent. Everyone slept thinking that this was the end of their volleyball life, especially the third years. Thinking that I've been in their situation before made me smile; this was still the beginning.

We are gathered in the gym that night by Keishin-san. They all looked drained and depressed, even Tanaka-san and Noya-san.

They'll get over it.

I sighed, leaning my back against the platform as I tuned my guitar. Everything was sileng as everyone were sulking on their own, even Coach Ukai and Takeda-sensei. I absent-mindedly formed a chord, strumminh once as I let a few lyrics roll out of my mouth.

"Lift your head,
Baby, don't be scared,
Of the things that could go wrong along the way,
You'll get by,
With a smile,
You can't win at everything but you can try."

They lifted their heads as they turned to me. I scanned every single one of their eyes full of regret, but as I continued singing, their mood seemed to lighten.

"--this sounds funny but I'll say it anyway.

Boys, I'll stay, through the bad times.
Evrn if I have to fetch you everyday,
We'll get by, if we smile,
We can never be too happy in this life."

My eyes met a pair of blue one's -- Kageyama Tobio's -- we stared at each other for a few seconds and he didn't even bother breaking eye contact. I looked away, looking down on my guitar to hide my blushing face and continued.

"In a world where everybody hates a happy ending story,
It's a wonder love can make the world go round,
But dont let it bring you down
And turn your face into a frown
You'll get along with a little prayer and a song."

I ended the song with a soft strum with closed eyes. I then slowly open it, watching everyone with teary eyes, but Kei and Kageyama.

"K-KUMI!" The others cried, springing to their feet.

Hinata was the first to jump at me, tackling me into a hug, then followed Noya and Tanaka and a few members.

I'm gonna miss moments like these, I thought to myself, seeing Tsukishima and Kageyama just watching us from afar.

We all finally made our way home. It has become a routine for Kageyama to walk me home, and we grew closer every step we make.

I turned to my side, seeing him yawning occassionally. We didn't bother talking the whole way since we were both exhausted from the games, but knowing he was walking beside me was enough to let me know I was safe. There were times I would just randomly think about him, making me blush at those thoughts.

And I am very much aware of the fact that this black-haired setter, also referred as King of the Court, has attracted me effortlessly in ways I cannot explain.

To sum everything up, I like Kageyama Tobio.

But will luck ever be on my side again? Even if he were to like me back, I'd just end up breaking his heart.

I sighed sadly, thanking him as he handed me my guitar case.

"I'll go now," he said tiredly, rubbing his eyes.

"Thanks, Kageyama," I smiled, waving my hand as he walked back down the path.

---

Song: With a Smile by Eraserheads