Chapter 45 - Ghosts, old and new

Start from the beginning

"The taste of misery." Another devilish laughter broke out from her. The light seared my eyes even though it was just a quick flash, the pungent smell of burnt gunpowder filling up the air.  Rafael kicked Angelo and the dead prince fell on his side. My arms lost the will to struggle against Jessica Gold and my body slumped against her.

Men ran about as they prepared to leave the hills near Spargimento Di Sangue as the amber smoke clouded the air. I couldn't care about any of that because Angelo had wrapped his arms around me, carrying me to the car. "Close your eyes and rest, Elizabeth." I tried to follow his words. But overnighting in the hills had proven to be a nightmare, haunting me even when I'm not asleep.

I forced my eyes closed to overcome the fear, pushing at the gates of my heart. "I'll always be here." His voice smooth and rich as velvet, assuring me that I am no longer in danger, with him around.. My eyes fluttered open to gentle icy blue eyes, that reminded me of a cloudless sky perfect for a day at the beach or for a picnic. I thought to myself that if Angelo gave me a genuine smile, that would be the most valuable thing I'll ever have.

The unspoken promise was broken as Angelo Mietitore laid dead on the floor.

So cold. My body shook hard as I gathered my knees together, hugging them. I rubbed my freezing calves but they remained stubbornly cold. They only grow colder, the longer I stared at Angelo's back.

Rafael kept the gun in his jacket and turned to Jessica. A wide grin decorated his face and the excitement in his voice disgusted me. "He's gone, Jessica. It's just me and you now." The Mietitore prince cannot just die like that, at the hands of a scheming girl. "Simon!" I screamed, summoning the Castello captain into the room. He entered the room with a long cylinder in his hand. "You?" Jessica scoffed.

The Valentine prince was not startled by his appearance and only questioned without any interest, "What are you doing here?" Simon answered upon receiving a nod from me,"Sir Rafael, this girl is the governor's captain." Rumbling laughters littered the room and Rafael grinned widely at Simon Collins. "You're talking nonsense." The prince pushed past the Castello captain and tried to leave with Jessica Gold. However, Simon blocked their way, earning a glare from the prince.

"Let him prove it to you, Rafael. Today, she will die at your hands or mine." I promised. Jessica Gold walking out of the motel alive is not an option for me or for the Mietitore family. Their slogan says, an eye for an eye. A life for a life, she will pay for Angelo's death with her own.

The Valentine prince did not heed my words and insisted on dragging his lover out of the room. I was about to stop them when Simon pounced on me, crushing me to the floor. Without warning, bullets rained upon the room, putting holes into the walls, floors and furniture.

While Simon covered his head and neck, I only had one thought in mind. Shoving the Castello captain aside, I ran towards the dead prince, not afraid of the bullets. Angelo was dead and I did not want him to suffer anymore when he has passed on from this world. I gripped his muscular arm and lunged for cover. But he was as heavy as an elephant, refusing to budge from his original spot. Even when I throw my entire body weight forward, we only moved an inch.

Ammunition was still coming in from the only window in the room and I could not bear to leave him in the open. Knowing that the Yilian brothers and the rest of the Mietitore family will destroy the mastermind behind all this racket, I threw myself over him. I scooped his head into my chest, hating to see any bullet holes on his chiseled face and shielded as much as I can with my five-foot-three body.

Peace returned after dotting the entire room was holes. My eyes were squeezed shut even after the bullets have stopped, terrified of having round two. Soon, footsteps thudded on the stairs and flooded the too-quiet hallway. Peeking with one eye, Yosef strided into the room and bowed to the dead Angelo.