Chapter Twenty-One Miles

I smiled as I helped momma in the kitchen after introducing her and dad to everyone.

"Are you sure I can't help with anything? I'm not used to doing anything," Peter said and I laughed some.

"You can go buy more food since you and Twelve are nearly bottomless pits," I said.

"I can do that. Anything, in particular, I should avoid?"

"Nope but make sure you get these," Momma said as she handed him the list.

"Oh and here take some money,"

"Oh no. I'll pay. You're letting us stay here for free for a couple of days. Let me pay for the food. I have more than enough anyway," Peter said and Momma frowned but nodded.

"I won't take long," Peter said before he turned.

"Oi, Furball, where you going?" I heard MJ asked and I snickered at that.

"Grocery shopping. Want to accompany me, Kitty Cat?"

"Sure. I want some fish anyway,"

"You never did answer my question if catnap affected you or not,"

"Are you affect by playing fetch?" she asked and I laughed some.

"Don't you think she should be nicer to him?" momma asked me softly as MJ and Peter left the house.

"No. That's just how they are. He's the only one allowed to call her Kitty Cat. The last person that called her that ended up being sent flying into a wall," I said.

"Huh," Dad said.

"Ya. We all know they like each other, hence the weird flirting you just witness. It's even worse they train together. It's so. Tense," I said and momma laughed at that.

"Well, at the least. I'm proud you get to learn under him. He's a prodigy and a good leader," momma said before she kissed my cheek.

"Now tell me a bit about what you learned at the school before it fell," she said and I nodded before I did as I continued to help her in the kitchen.

Hours later, I laughed as we all partied in the backyard with homemade food when Peter, Twelve, Lillian, and Star stood up all smiling.

"The four of us did some thinking," Twelve said.

"Ouch, better be careful or you'll lose the last of your brain cells," MJ said and I choked on my drink at that while everyone else laughed while Twelve just shot Peter a look.

"Aw, I knew you cared for me, MJ," Twelve said.

"Eh, screw this. Congratulations! We're promoting you to official Hunters!" Star said as she tapped the screen of her phone.

"You guys have improved so much in the field. You guys already had the mindset of what we did in our last year of school," Lillian said.

"Honestly, you guys have blown way past my expectations of where I thought you would be during this time. Malia, you've physically changed your family's hereditary power. You've become so much stronger than your own sister when she was your age. Where your sister could barely hold up two summon for five minutes, you can hold two for half a day," Peter said and I saw Malia beam at that.

"Indigo, in just these short amount of months, you went from barely being able to lift objects to throwing trees and sheets of metal. Helping your teammates move around and reading minds left and right. Being on par with Lillian," Peter said and Indigo blushed.

"MJ, you learned five combat styles from Nat. You could hold your own against her for an hour which is incredible when Nat is the best in hand-to-hand in all of the countries. You've grown stronger not only physically but emotionally and mentally. Gone is the quiet-hybrid who hides her ears behind a bow. Now your basically the president of Phoenix Scythe, staring down egotistical bastards spewing facts until they bow down realizing how poorly their actions against your fellow Hybrids are. You are literally changing people's minds about Hybrids with your words, something you told me that you wanted, not the violence, Nighthands causes. That's an accomplishment anyone would be proud of watching," Peter said and I saw MJ turn nearly the same shade of red as the cup she was holding.

"Aurora. My Little Light. A natural-born team leader. A natural ghoul hunter. Always so kind to everyone. Always willing to learn and help others. Helping everyone find out who they truly are. Mom and dad would be proud of the young woman you've become because I know I am, despite the urge to just lock you away and keep you from growing older," Peter said Aurora let out a wet laugh at that.

"Gabe. You used to be someone who could only listen to orders. You listen to orders still yes, but now you are adding your own two cents in to help make the plan or order safer,"

"Charlotte. You were scared of your powers but now you are using them with control someone only with years of experience could hold. Something you accomplished in ten months. You also went from doubting yourself to being full of confidence. Never lose that," Peter said and Charlotte nodded.

"Lizzy. You went from being the worst fighter to being an excellent Huntress. Always being the one to step back to look at a situation before jumping in with something that could help,"

"Miles, you've grown a lot from the awkward and scared team leader I saw in the School Tournament. I saw you at the school easily leading a group of students on clean up duty while ordering another group on what to do with the straggling Nighthands. Something the past you never would have been able to do. You come up with some great plans on how to deal with Ghouls as well. I also know you've trained the hardest. I saw your simulation clock-ins when everyone would be elsewhere. Casey was right to believe in you," Peter said and I swallowed at that before I uttered a soft thanks as I looked at my phone which was holding my Hunters license.

"You've all earned these but it doesn't mean you can abuse them," Star said.

"We as Team SWORD, don't answer to the Council and are above the Military and Police because we are the first line of defense of everything," Lillian said.

"Just because we are above doesn't mean we don't help. As Hunters and Huntress, it is your duty to not only kill Ghouls but to protect the lives of the Civilians and everyone who does not know what it means to be on the front lines," Twelve said and we all nodded.

"And because we don't answer to the Council, they can't control when we take jobs. Military and Police can't take control of us either. Because of that, when the school fell, Team SWORD and Team ARROW were put under my control," Peter said that last part is a lie since it was only Team SWORD that was meant to be in his control but I knew it would put my parents at ease and Peter knew that as well.

"If you look closely at your Hunters license, you will see that you guys hold the same as we do," Twelve said and it clicked. The council doesn't know the truth about Ulric. It's why we. No. Us. It's why we don't have to answer them.

"Just because you don't have to answer to the Council, doesn't mean you should abuse it," Lillian said.

"We gave you these. We can just as easily take them back," Star said and we all nodded.

"I don't have a congratulations speech like Valk would so just party and eat," Peter said and we all laughed before I was sandwich in between my parents as they spewed their praises as my shirt started to get wet by their tears.