The old fellow spoke again, and again he missed it as his thoughts had wondered to Rohesia. He had to shake his head, feeling the effects of very little sleep in the last two days. He had had no sleep last night, and since before dawn when he had held her in his arms in a snow filled street, he had not had a chance to see or crash down upon his bed at all. Kendrick having led him on a merry chase since he had left Robert that morn. From the moue that appeared on the maids face it seemed she had heard his name spoken somewhere, and if he was correct it was disappointment he saw flitting through her eyes.

                He tuned back in to hear the buxom lass as the old fellow moved past her out of the room. “Aye Patrick, you better go get the missus, she’s gunna wanna meet the lad.” ‘Patrick’, it seemed had already left the room and the conversation behind. He focused on the maid, as she turned back to smile at him once more. The eyes and ears of any establishment, if you wanted information you went to the staff, they knew all. It was just the matter of finding the right price for the information that you wished to know.

                “Actually, I’m here to find Kendrick Mac….” The maid waved her hand in the middle of his sentence, and he stopped speaking, the shock of her actions taking him back a little. In his experience in Edinburgh the servants did not act like this. Any woman back in his clan would have, and most likely every single one could put claim to a time she had shut him up for one reason or another. In fact they would probably line up to tell stories of every time he messed up in some way or another.

                “Now, now, Artair MacKay, we have heard such a lot about you. Are ye not jussa little bit curious as to whatya be getting married too?” Her eyebrow raised, and she sashayed across the room to him. The door still open, but from their positions, no one could see them from the corridor beyond. Pausing a step or two from him, she placed her hands on her hips. Giving him a very clear up and down look, the woman’s face lit with a knowing smirk. “Oh aye, the missus lucked out when God sent you her way. Why’s it allus the richuns that get the good stuff?” The sigh she huffed was long suffering and just a little patronising. He felt both insulted and strangely complimented all in one.

                “I don’t know what you think I am here for. But all I want it to see my friend, explain a misunderstanding and be on my way.” The maid gave him another once over. “Such a shame the missus gets you after her wicked ways, but well, thems the ways when yous gots the money I suppose.” Boldly taking another step forward, the maid leaned closer and dropped her voice. Curious as to what she had to say, Artair could not help but lean a little closer. “You ever get bored with the missus, you just let me know.” Stepping back, she sent him a wink before heading to the door. He was used to some very forward women, but none quite as brazen as this. She paused at the door and sent a look which he supposed was to be alluring, but in fact just sent a shudder of revulsion through him. “Names Megan Forster, don’t forget now will ya?” With a wink she left, and Artair was left waiting in a state of shock.