Chapter 25

I wake up knowing we need to have a conversation. I may have overreacted yesterday and I need to apologize for my actions. Damn I hate admitting I was wrong.

I arrive at work feeling a little better but still not wanting to admit my faults. As an adult I know this is what they call "growing pains." As I've heard before "Suck it up buttercup!" Which is exactly what I intend to do.

He text me last night, not being ready to express myself, I just told him my woman thing is making me stay in and I just want to be left alone. 

The time comes for me to head upstairs. This is it, the moment of truth. 

I bounce out of the elevator ready to see that bright loving smile Victoria always displays but she's nowhere to be found. I see Selena walk out of Axle's office moments later, I can hear my heart pounding like a jackhammer. 

She's wearing a tight red lace dress that's not work place appropriate, plunging neckline, breasts out and short

She's wearing a tight red lace dress that's not work place appropriate, plunging neckline, breasts out and short. It's like she's going to a club. Our eyes meet, she gives me that, "Yeah, I was fucking him" smile as she adjusts her dress and hair. 

She whispers to me as I pass her by, "He's going to need a few minutes to recover and get dressed." She winks knowing her words sting. I don't bother turning back to look at her, I know she's smiling, relishing throwing what she has with him in my face. 

I close my eyes to fight back the waterfall that's threatening to overflow. I've lost my nerve to talk to him after seeing her. 

I wait at his door for a moment not wanting to see him adjusting his clothes but I can feel her glare burning my skin. I'm so lost right now; I don't want to walk into his office but I don't want to be out here with her either.

I hesitantly knock on the door waiting for his invitation to enter. "Come in," his silky-smooth voice invites me in. 

My hand trembles, as I reach for the door, I intake a deep breath, turn the nob at the pace of turtle, push the door open as I walk in heading straight for the sofa.

"Good morning," I'm able to mutter without looking his way. "Hi, Chloe. Are you okay?" he asks but I still don't look at him. "I'm fine," I say as I spread out the work for us on the coffee table. "Where's Victoria?" I inquire about my friend before he probes me more.

"She started throwing up this morning, so I sent her home," he says nonchalantly.  My head snaps up, finally meeting his gaze. "Is she okay?" I spew with worry. "I hope so, maybe it's just one of those 24-hour bugs." He says matter-of-factly. 

I can feel myself melting like ice under the hot sun when I see his silvery eyes fix on mine. His long legs stride towards me as I sit on the sofa. I feel the prickles on the back of my neck at the very sight of him. 

He takes his place next to me on the sofa, our legs grazing, sending the all too familiar warmth to my core. I move away and Axle snaps, "That's it Chloe, what's wrong and don't you dare lie to me and say nothing," he demands from me.