Back in the Day (Pt. Three)

-I just wrote these all, back-to-back, and I'm going to eat jello and go to bed-

Dick sat by the phone until bedtime, but no call came. Disappointed, he let Bruce steer him to bed.

Bruce tried to reassure him, saying that his friend probably just forgot to call him, or washed the phone number off his arm and forgot it. This didn't help much.

Dick was sure that his new friend would never call, until eleven the next day. Dick was in the kitchen, getting some water, when the phone rang. On a dying hope, Dick picked up the phone. He wasn't supposed to answer the phone, incase it was something important for Bruce.

"Hi?" He muttered.

"Hi, it this... NightWing Kid?"

Dick gasped. "Yeah! You're Flash Kid!"

"Yeah!" The other voice exclaimed. "The name's Wally West!"

"Hi, my name is Dick."

There was a pause at the other end, then the other boy, Wally, spoke again. "So you're in Gotham?"

"Uh huh."

"What's it like there?"

Dick looked out the window. "Rainy. Is it rainy there?"

"Nope, it's just cloudy."

"You did not call lat night." Dick commented.

"Sorry, my aunt Iris was using the phone last night, so I just watched TV. What did you do?"

Dick told him about what happened the previous evening.

"Wait, your dad-"

"Guardian."

"-Guardian, sorry, just bought them groceries?"

"Yes."

"Wasn't that expensive?"

"I dunno. I think he only spent like forty dollars." Dick had no understanding of monetary value.

"Wow, he must have an awesome job!" Wally went on to talk about his family's jobs, this made Dick feel like he wouldn't in trouble for sharing a bit more.

"Which grade are you?"

"Six. What grade are you in?"

Dick stopped to think about it. "FOUR! Who's you Flash project?"

Wally shushed him. "My uncle doesn't know yet." He whispered. "It's going okay... after work, uncle B took me out to buy things for the experiment. I told him they were for school!"

Dick was shocked, Wally lied to get what he wanted. THAT. IS. SO. COOL. He pestered for details, keeping Wally on the line.

"Dick, Alfred heard the... phone." Bruce rounded the corner, and saw him sitting, crosslegged on the floor.

Dick looked up with big eyes, he knew he wasn't supposed to answer the phone. "I must go."

Wally moaned. "Don't go! I'm still telling you about how it works!"

"Can you call again?"

"Okay, when?"

Dick didn't know. "Tomorrow? After school?"

Wally paused and then answered. "Okay! Four 'o' clock! I'll finish explaining then!"

"Good bye."

"Bye, Dick!"

Dick sheepishly hung up. "Sorry."

"Is that your new friend front Central City?"

Dick nodded excitedly. "Yeah! I know his name!"

"Oh, what is it?"

Dick grinned proudly. "Wally West! His Uncle Barry works at... where we were!"

Everything clicked in Bruce's mind; Dick told him that his new friend REALLY liked the Flash, and now he knew the kid had an uncle named 'Barry', things made sense. He was almost sad that the only friend Dick had made so far was Barry Allen's nephew. He acted excited for Dick.

"That's great, Dick, but remember the rules..."

"I know." He sighed. "Don't answer."

"That's right, and always ask me before you share personal information over the phone."

"I know." He stared at the floor tiles for a few seconds. "Can I go outside?"

"Are you going to wear a jacket?"

"Ya"

"Are you going to wear your boots?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay, fine, but stay near the house."

-guys, I was drunk when I wrote these...-