Chapter 20

It was a crisp, sunny morning as the three of us prepared to embark on a bicycle ride to our favorite brunch spot. The clock had just struck 10, marking the beginning of a day that held a tinge of bittersweetness. Today was Irwin's last day in Zanzibar, and there was an unspoken heaviness in the air. I couldn't deny the sense of sadness that hung over me, as I knew I had something important to address with him before he left.

Irwin, with his signature charm and a hint of nostalgia in his eyes, spoke, 

"Here you are, girls. Only two bicycles left, who will come with me?" 

His question hung in the air, waiting for a response, and I hesitated, my thoughts a whirlwind of emotions.

Before I could find my voice, my dear friend Calantha chimed in, her eyes gleaming with mischief, 

"Abelia, of course, she has never used a bicycle before."

 I wanted to protest, but deep down, I knew she was right. I had experience riding horses and driving, but a bicycle was unfamiliar territory for me. Perhaps, it was my chance to make up for everything that had happened lately. I decided to embrace the opportunity. Calantha, who had once been a champion in bicycle racing, gave me an encouraging wink, hinting at her intentions. She sped ahead, leaving Irwin and me behind. I knew her well enough to understand that she was doing this intentionally, giving us a chance to have some one-on-one time.

As we pedaled along the picturesque forest trail, surrounded by the tranquil beauty of nature, I seized the opportunity to break the silence that hung between us.

"So, why haven't I seen you before?" I asked, curiosity piqued by his presence.

A playful smile danced across his lips as he glanced over at me, a mischievous glint shining in his eyes. 

"Maybe I was always here, but you never noticed," he replied, his words tinged with a hint of mystery.

His response sparked a playful banter between us, weaving a thread of lightheartedness through the bittersweet atmosphere that hung over our farewell ride. Yet, beneath the surface, there lingered an unspoken understanding of the impending goodbye, a shared acknowledgment of the inevitable parting that loomed on the horizon.

As we continued our journey, the gentle rhythm of our pedals echoed the ebb and flow of emotions that danced within us, each moment tinged with the bittersweet essence of farewell.

"Impossible. I remember the people around me well, you know I was a psychology student. I can read people's minds," I said playfully, gently poking his cheek with my fingertip.

He suddenly stopped the bicycle, turned around, and held onto my shoulders, preventing me from falling. Our eyes locked, and it felt as if we were exchanging ideas from the past. The tension in the air was palpable, and I could hear the rapid beating of my heart, pounding loudly as there was barely one centimeter of space between our lips.

"Maybe I have always been by your side," he said, his words flowing like a magic spell.

I let my intrusive thoughts win, and with a smile on my face, I leaned in and planted a soft peck on his right cheek. Caught by my sudden action, his eyes widened, and his ears flushed red.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" I began to apologize, closing my eyes, ready to face his potential anger.

To my surprise, he looked at me with a sly smirk on his face, and his hands slid from my shoulders to my waist.

 "No need to apologize," he whispered, his warm breath brushing against my lips. 

As Irwin held me in his warm embrace, his words echoed in my mind, sinking into the depths of my heart. His comforting presence seemed to envelop me, providing solace in the midst of my emotional turmoil. I closed my eyes for a moment, allowing his words to wash over me, trying to absorb the wisdom in them.