Chapter 29 - "Everything is fair in love and war..."

Manan Flat: Living room main door: 9:10 am

"Did you just fall?"

"No, I attacked the floor..."

If anyone could hear the muted conversation between Manik and Nandini through their eyes; it wouldn't be any different from this. Nandini was glaring at Manik still sitting on the floor like a buffoon.

Cabir: (Concernedly) "Are you okay?"

At last, Cabir gained his voice after coming out from his scandalized state and lent his hand to Nandini. Before she could react, Manik words added fire to the fuel.

Manik: (In a light tone) "I think Gattu is alright. This is the benefit of being lean and thin...no?"

Manik shuttled his eyes on Cabir and Nandini, demanding approval of his out of the box remark but Nandini's rolling eyes poured a bucket of cold water to his enthusiasm. He gulped the saliva sheepishly. Nandini somehow got up from the floor and without looking at anyone shuffled out grabbing her bag. She really got hurt in her hip area but right now she was hell annoyed. Cabir observed her departure but along this, he also observed his multicoloured lady's bag. "Very weird." His mind passed the remark.

Manik: "Cabir, is there anything serious?"

Manik's voice brought back him to the place.

Cabir: (In a hesitant sheepish tone) "Yes...sorry, again I came here without informing you. Actually, I was directly going to the office but in between a thought....."

Cabir tried to justify himself. Manik smiled at his modesty and gestured to him to come inside because he was still standing on the threshold.

Manik: (With a frolic voice) "There is no need to be so formal. I am sure there must be some urgent reason which brought you here so early in the morning. Come..let's sit and discuss."

Both became comfortable on the sofa and Cabir without much ado raised the topic,

Cabir: (In an earnest tone) "Manik, do you know about Aliya and Dhruv?"

............................................

Aliya's College: In the ground area: 2:45 pm:

Aliya and her best friend Mukti were sitting on a bench watching some students playing badminton on the court. Mukti was munching to be precise, devouring her favourite wafers.

Mukti: (In a mouthful state) "Aliya....you..know..yaastherday..Koonaal...waaas...aaaksing...abbbout...youuu.."

Her words were ground with her munch. Getting no response from her best friend she turned at Aliya just to find her ruminating over something. She nudged her a little and again repeated.

Mukti: (With more inexplicable language) "I theenk...Koonaal ess...In...theerested..in...youuu."

Aliya glared at her and pursed her lips in vexation.

Aliya: "I can't understand a single word of yours. Can you please finish your this oily shit and then talk. Because, unfortunately, I am not a language decoder."

Mukti pouted and gulped her so-called oily shit. She sipped some cold drink and finally, her mouth became empty enough to clear her previous gibberish.

Mukti: "I said yesterday Kunal was asking about you. I think he is interested in you."

She winked at Aliya expecting some fiery reply but her words creased her forehead.