Chapter 5 - Manik's interview..........

Mumbai: Deshmukh Niwas: Living room: 6: 00 pm:

Manik and Varun entered. Manik was wearing faded jeans with a black shirt. The bright light of the living room became brighter with his charming appearance.

Vishwanath: ( Happily) "welcome, welcome. Please come. You are exactly on time. Very impressive indeed."

Vishwanath got up from the sofa. Cabir also stood up while Aloka disappeared inside. However, Aliya perhaps forgot to react by any means because she was in awe of Manik. She was literally ogling him.

Cabir: (Loudly) "Aliya, he is Manik Malhotra. Hopefully our new tenant. And she is my sister Aliya."

Aliya was startled and felt shy about her childish behaviour.

Aliya: (Hesitantly): "Hi."

Manik: (Smiling) "Hello."

All sat comfortably on the sofa. Fortunately or unfortunately Manik occupied the place exactly opposite of Aliya. She started stealing glances of Manik in regular intervals.

Cabir: "So Mr Malhota. First of all congratulations on your promotion. I am Cabir Dixit. Frankly speaking, Mama gave me a very vague introduction of yours. You are from Delhi, right?"

Manik: (Smilingly) "Yeah, I am from Delhi. You can call me Manik and of course you can ask me whatever you want to know."

Cabir: (Grinning) "No, no, not at all. We are not sitting here for an interview. I just wanted to meet you as Mama and Varun praised you so much. But I must say you can count me too in this league from now."

Vishwanath: (Hesitantly) "My wife wanted to meet you. Nothing important. Just wanted to know who is going to stay in our flat. That's it."

He seemed a little nervous as he didn't fathom how sceptical Aloka would be.

Aloka entered with Lata. She was holding a tray laden with different snacks and steamy teacups.

Aloka: "Are you a bachelor? I mean I know you are a bachelor. My husband told me that. But I want to know are you going to marry very soon?"

Manik: (Perplexed) "What?... No... I mean....... Why? Is it a criterion too?"

Vishwanath cleared his throat while Cabir chuckled by hiding his mouth with a hand. Aliya gaped and started staring at her Mom.

Aloka: (Ignoring everybody) "Not exactly. Look. I like to call a spade a spade and talk very clearly. We don't want to give our flat to any family man because of some unpleasant experience. We are giving it to you in rent because you said that you are unmarried. But it doesn't mean that you will never marry. And if it happens in the near future then, unfortunately, we have to think otherwise."

Manik looked to Varun like he wanted to say, ' Where have you got me into?' Varun's expression was worth watching. He looked like a trapped mouse.

Cabir: "What are you saying Mami? Now it is unfair. Would he remain a bachelor forever for staying in your flat?"

All were laughing loudly.

Aloka: (Rigidly) "I didn't crack any joke. I am pretty serious. Mr Malhotra, you have to remain unmarried till you are staying in my flat."

Manik: (sighing) "Okay, I promise I will remain unmarried till I am at your flat. Anything else?"

Aloka: "You are Punjabi. Must be a foodie. Who cooks at home?"