Chapter 27 - "Power couple and the camaraderie..."

Manik's Flat: Bedroom: 8:15 am:

Manik's words, "She snatched my opportunity"...forced Nandini to lift her face from his chest. She looked at his pain-induced eyes.

Nandini: (With quivering heart) "Tell me in detail."

Her voice was laced with worry and discomfort. Manik slowly loosened his grip on her body and stepped back to sit on the bed...slouchingly.

Manik: (With a choked voice) "I did so much hard work on this project and she just nullified my all efforts within a second. You know she said my designs are lacking uniqueness. Company needs some out of the box idea and I am lacking in this."

Manik's voice became shallower proved he was suffering from self-doubt. Nandini perched beside him and took his hand on hers.

Nandini: (In a composed tone) "What is more important to you?...Soha's judgment or your self-confidence?"

Manik looked back at her. He was trying to gauge her every word. Nandini paused for a moment and continued with the same authority.

Nandini: "You didn't compromise with your hard work and put your best foot forward. You are confident with your talent and work then who the hell is she to evaluate your calibre in just 24 hours?... and that is because of, you already know, the rejection she had to face. She just wants you to taste the same bitter medicine of rejection. But that is not her ultimate goal. She wants to demolish your confidence and in this way you are only making it easy for her."

Nandini hissed out her words while Manik could only see her with perplexed eyes.

Nandini: (With arched brows) "What?...don't expect me to console you with some lovey-dovey words because you are not any poor soul who will leave this matter so easily and silently accept her dirty game. The man I know as my husband, as Manik Malhotra never gives up so easily. Especially when someone unethically tries to put him down. He gets what he deserves."

Nandini kept on looking at her husband. In her mind, she was breaking to see him like this but she knew that it's not the time to show her weakness rather it is her responsibility to help him regain his self-confidence. Manik was staring at her. His eyes were shimmering with love and reliance. Gradually a broad grin appeared on his lips.

Manik: "Mrs Malhotra, you know exactly how to push your husband's limit and provoke him to show his swagger. But this time it's his boss and I can't overrule her power and position."

Nandini: (With clenched jaws) "She is your boss...not the owner of this company. By the way, have you discussed this matter with other VPs and the Board of Directors? I am sure they are aware of this abrupt change. Apart from this, have you checked the final project papers? Does it have any of your previously submitted designs?"

For a moment Manik stared at his wife with wide eyes, seemed he was trying to calculate the whole thing all over with a new perspective. Suddenly he sprung up from his place.

Manik: "Oh...Shit...how stupid I am...how can I forget?...she told me that company has hired some freelance designer to continue this project. But as the company rule, they need my consent too for approving that person as I am the Senior Architect. Without my approval, this appointment is invalid unless and until I voluntarily step back."

He turned back to Nandini. His eyes and expression were beaming with excitement. He came nearer to Nandini and pulled her to stand in front of him.

Manik: (With strenuous tone) "That means...."

Nandini snatched his line,

Nandini: (Tried to quell her excitement) "That means, either she misled the other VPs and Board of Directors about your consent or you are still part of this project. She just wants you to be demoralized and unavailable for further designs so that she could showcase it as your unprofessionalism."