Chapter 24 - "Repercussion of divulgence..."

Manan's flat: Bedroom: 12:50 am:

Manik: (With a sigh) "My boss Soha Shanyal proposed to me today."

The revelation of his discomfort made Nandini stiff her body. She kept mum for a while, sinking into the words. Gradually, she unshackled herself from Manik's grip.

Nandini: (In a hesitant voice) "Then what was your response?"

The apprehension in her voice didn't get unnoticed by Manik. He stirred to lie on his back.

Manik: (In a reticent tone) "Before coming to any conclusion listen to the whole incident. Soha came to me in the afternoon for inviting me to lunch. When we were having our lunch and discussing normal office work she abruptly asked me something...."

Flashback

Soha: (In a serious yet unprofessional tone) "Manik, have you thought anything about your future growth in this company? I mean if you get an opportunity, would you like to go abroad with new responsibilities and designation?"

For a moment Manik tried to comprehend her question. He had just got a promotion and as per the company rules, no one can get further promotion before servicing in a position for a minimum of 2 years. That means he has to be a senior architect for at least 2 years if he doesn't change his job. His confusion was evident in his eyes. Soha noticed it while nibbling on her morsel. She glanced at Manik from the corner of her eye.

Soha: "Well, It's a bit confidential but I can rely on you."

She gave a complaisant smile and continued.

Soha: "Company has offered me to head its Singapore Branch. I am also keen on going abroad with a good salary. But the thing is my parents are not ready. They put a condition that before going abroad I have to tie the knot. They are sceptic about my character transformation without their parenting surveillance."

She giggled. Manik too grinned but still couldn't fathom how is it related to his promotion? Soha continued.

Soha: "So I thought what is the harm to fulfilling their wish? After all, I am 25...it's the right time to think about my personal life apart from my career. So...yeah...I just wanted to ask you if you too are interested to get quick growth in your career as well as want to settle in abroad. Are you interested to come with me?...."

Being hell confused Manik tried to open his mouth but Soha's next words scandalized him to the core.

Soha: (With an intense gaze) "As my husband?... We can marry and in that special ground I can recommend your name for promotion and transfer to the same place where I am supposed to go."

For some moment all the surroundings became obscure and shaky for Manik. He was way beyond surprised and flummoxed. Soha lifted her eyes slantingly placed on Manik's perplexed ones.

Soha: (Took a deep breath) "Look Manik, I am very progressive and open with my thoughts and action. I don't think that in a relationship the man should always pop the question...why we women can't take the initiative? I don't want to hide that I really like you...from day one I felt a strong connection with you that I never have felt for anyone until now. I don't know whether it is love or what but yes...I wanna grow old with you...you can take it as my love proposal...I am not shy about it at all."

Saying this Soha paused for a while. Maybe she was looking for Manik's reaction. Although she was quite sure about his positive response. After all, who will miss this golden opportunity?

Manik: (Cleared his throat) "Soha...well, frankly speaking...I was not ready for this at all. I didn't have any idea about how do you feel for me. I genuinely appreciate your feelings and your straightforward nature...and there is nothing wrong about falling for someone...but..ahem...I...I have someone in my life. I can't think of my life without that person. You are very sweet...a wonderful person but I am committed..."