The next time I woke up it was to a knock to my door. I rolled over to look at it and saw a shadow under the crack beneath it walk away. It had my curiosity high enough that I flipped off my covers and padded over to see what it was about.

There was a wrapped gift sitting on the floor outside the door. It wasn't very big, had no card, and looked like it was designer wrapped. I rolled my eyes and took it inside. I tossed it on my bed and decided to get dressed for the day.

Just a regular jeans and t-shirt later, after my morning routine of course, and I was sitting on my bed looking at the gift. Probably from one or both of my parents. It would be expensive and impersonal, but at least they remembered every year.

I tore the fancy cloth bow and ribbon off. Next I worked the tape off so I could get into the box. Whatever paper they used was ridiculously strong and I couldn't tear it. Inside was a box with a symbol that had my heart pounding in my chest.

I opened it. There was a shiny keychain with two keys dangling off it. I gulped. I couldn't tell exactly what it was, but it was definitely expensive. There wasn't a Mercedes on the lot that a kid like me could afford without rich parents who were willing to buy it.

I felt both excited and awkward about it. It was a measure of freedom that I wasn't expecting from them. I pulled out the keys and tossed them into my pocket. I slipped my wallet into my back pocket.

I hopped down the stairs, thanking my lucky stars that my birthday fell on a Saturday. I didn't have to get up early and go to school to endure all the fake praise for an event I had no say in. Yeah, congrats on not dying. Thumbs up.

I ate my breakfast in the kitchen. Pete was directing cleanup and groceries for that evening. I was grateful that he started a fresh plate of food especially for me, despite being late.

"Don't get used to it. This is only because it's your birthday. Wake up earlier if you want this kind of food in the mornings on the weekend regularly." He pointed his spatula at me and I just nodded meekly.

"Of course. Thanks Pete. Any word from Sasha?" I asked hopefully. He rolled his eyes and turned back to the stove. I waited patiently as the smell began to make my mouth water.

"He's pretty busy this week. Only got a line or two that he was doing well. Asked about you." He said with his back turned. See what I mean? Come on man. I'm dying here. Give me more info.

"Yeah? That's good, right?" I said clumsily. I was playing with my fork when he finally dropped the plate in front of me.

"He'll remember Lukas, don't worry." He replied sympathetically. I just chowed down. It was really good food. Some kind of hash with eggs, potatoes and bacon mixed in.

"I know." I said around a bite. Pete grimaced and snorted.

"Jesus, just eat would you." He went back to work and there was no conversation until I said 'later' as I was leaving. He waved.

I wandered out to the front hall and the butler wished me a happy birthday. I smiled and thanked him. He asked about my new car, if I liked it. I wasn't really sure since I had never seen it. I said it was cool though anyways.

I figured I should probably actually look at it. I walked out the front door without a jacket and shivered a little at the breeze. I would be wearing my long sleeves again on my jog later.

I wandered to the garage next to the house and gave a wave to Michael. I was glad they hadn't fired him for some stupid reason after what happened with Sasha and I before. He wasn't my driver anymore most days though. I think my mother stole him because he is not bad to look at.