Chapter 17

Rishab drops Khushi who hugs him before getting down. Rishab drives home thinking how comfortable they both have become in a day. As he reaches home, his phone beeps. It's a text from Khushi asking if he has reached home. Rishab smiles and replies: Just now. He changes and gets into his bed with his laptop. He checks his phone to find another text from her. Rishab calls her and they talk about random things for sometime. Rishab avoids talking about his father.

Rishab has tactfully avoided going face to face with Sachin and Arti. He has made sure that meetings are done in office and he has left as soon as it's over to avoid being caught by them. But he knows he can't avoid going to their house on Arushi's birthday. The night before the occasion, Rishab as usual gives Khushi a call. He says,"Tomorrow is Arushi's birthday and we have to go to Sachin and Arti's place in the evening. Remember?" Khushi replies,"I know. Arti di had called me earlier today reminding about it. But I haven't yet got any gifts for Arushi. Didn't get time na. Haye when will I buy??" Rishab smiles on the melodrama of Khushi, he says,"Kitna drama karti ho??I too haven't got anything." Khushi interrupting him,"What??You too??Kab kharidoge???" Rishab says,"That's what I was saying but you don't allow me to talk." Khushi says,"Haye maine kab roka??I am toh only listening to you. You are only not saying anything." Rishab shakes his head and says,"Fine..now listen. I have a meeting tomorrow at..." Khushi again interrupts,"So you will not go?? What?? This is not good. You must go.. " Rishab says,"I know Khushi its difficult for you to stay quiet for sometime but if you don't stop talking and let me complete then.." Khushi on the other side,"Sorry sorry, bolo..don't get angry again." Rishab continues,"My meeting is at a cafe at 4:30. You do one thing, you come out of the office by 5:30 and wait for me at the gate. I'll finish my meeting and pick you up from there. We can together go to the mall to buy something for Aru and then go to their house." Khushi is still silent on the other side of the phone. Rishab waits for sometime and says,"Hello are you there?" Nothing no reply, he continues,"Khusi are you there?? Why are you not replying?" Khushi replies,"I was keeping quiet just as you asked. Can I talk now??" Rishab laughs and says,"You know what you are crazy.."

Next day as planned Khushi comes out of the office right at 5:30. Just as she is going towards the main gate, she steps on a pebble, looses her balance and falls down. Khushi starts crying,"Amma..." She slowly gets up and finds her dress is ruined. Rishab arrives and finds Khushi crying on the bench of the bus stop outside the gate. He gets down and goes near her. Rishab asks her,"What happened? Why are you crying? Are you okay?" Khushi gets up to show mud on her dress. Rishab says,"Ooo God..Are you hurt?" Khushi shakes her head to say no. Rishab continues,"Okay nothing to worry. And please stop crying..Get into the car, lets go." When she doesn't listen, Rishab holds her hands and drags her into the car and they leave.

Rishab and Khushi arrive at Sachin and Arti's place by evening. Sachin comes up to Rishab and gives him a hug and says hi to Khushi. Khushi finds Arti arranging the table and goes near her. They hug each other and exchange greetings. Khushi says,"Where is Arushi?We have got gifts for her." Arti replies,"She is in her room. My mother is getting her ready. Wow!You are looking lovely in this dress." Khushi blushes, she says,"Thank you..You don't know what happened today.. I was supposed to wait outside for Rishab to come and pick me, I slipped and fell on the dirt. My dress got dirty and I started crying. Rishab came and took me to the mall. There he got this dress for me and I changed there before coming here. He is sooo nice na.." Arti was smiling by then, she then says,"Yes, Rishi is very nice man..very nice. You like him?" Khushi innocently replies,"Yes, I like him very much. He is also very cute na.." Arti says,"Ooo. Yes yes he is very cute.."

Sachin takes hold of Rishab and he starts grilling him,"What Rishi tu itna badal gaya hai??Seriously I just can't believe it's really you?" Rishab knows he can't do anything now but he still protests,"How have I changed? I am still the same Rishab. Okay." Sachin says,"Bhai, Tu mujhe call nahi karta but der raat tak tera number busy rahta hai. How could you do this?? The Rishi we all knew never goes to any street food stall to eat junk food..Where did your healthy diet mantra gone???" Arti joins them as Khushi has gone inside to be with Arushi. She says,"Sachin, don't say anything to our cute boy..He is such a nice man (whispering to Sachin) according to Khushi..Rishi, when are you taking me shopping? Now you can take me na. " Sachin interrupts,"What? Shopping??" Arti says,"Rishi had taken Khushi on shopping and bought her the dress she is wearing today." Sachin smile broadens,"Bhai yeh kya ho raha hai?? First rain, then Pav bhaji, then texting and calls and now shopping. Tu Rishab hi hain na??" Rishab ignores him and tells Arti,"Arey, I was supposed to take her to buy gifts for Aru. Her dress had got dirty so I purchased one to wear..Nothing else. Stop pulling my leg now.. " Sachin still continues,"Woh thik hai but what about other things..Accept you like her and I will spare you otherwise.." Rishab says,"She works for me, but yes she has become my good friend so I like her like that. But there is absolutely nothing going on. Now stop." Arti says,"Don't force him, he will accept eventually..but you know feelings are mutual.." Rishab doesn't get what Arti meant by the statement. She goes away but Sachin still keeps pulling his leg. Then some of their friends come up and Rishab feels relieved for being spared for the time being.

Khushi comes out carrying Arushi. Arti goes to her and they start talking about something. Her mother and some other people join them. Rishab looks at Khushi and thinks how cute does she look. The statement of 'feelings are mutual' keeps ringing in his ear. What feelings does he has for her?? What is her feelings for him?? All these questions keep coming up in his mind as he watches Khushi smiling at her.