Chapter 16

Rishab had seen his father laughing with his friends and business people, but that laughs were never real. He had seen real smile on his father's face only when he was with his mother. Today after really long period of time he is witnessing the same smile. He is happy but somewhere he feels betrayed. Khushi and Rishab's father look up to see him standing in shock as if he has seen some ghost. Khushi says,"Hey, I was just leaving. It's getting late right. Sorry, we were talking and I had totally forgotten about the time." Turning towards Akhilesh she says,"Ok Uncle, I'll take your leave now. After I finish this book, I will take another one from you." Akhilesh replies,"Yes, I will give you another of my favourite books. But you don't need that reason to come here. You are always welcome to this house. So you have to come to meet me." Khushi gets up hugs her Uncle and move towards Rishab. Rishab is still in a trance. He just can't believe what he is witnessing. Khushi comes up to him and says,"Lets go.Bye Uncle." She opens the door and leaves. Rishab still stands near the door speechless. He wants to say so much, so many unspoken questions now going on in his mind. But he stays just silent taking in everything. His father looks at him and says,"Do you have something to say?" Rishab's trance breaks and he replies,"No, I am just leaving. Bye." He turns to open the door when his father says,"You should spend some time in the library reading. It will help in your work... Bye." Rishab does not reply anything, he opens the door and leaves.

As he goes out, he finds Khushi being fed by his Dadi. She is as usual talking about something. Rishab moves towards the dining table. Dadi says,"Bacha, what happened?" Rishab replies,"Nothing Dadi. I have to go. Its already late. I have meetings. Khushi tumhara hogaya ho to chalein??" Khushi nods her head, drinks some water, hugs Dadi and says bye to her. Dadi tells her to come again and this time for a whole day. She didn't get a chance tp talk to her this morning. She asks Rishab,"Why don't you bring her this weekend for lunch?I could get more time with both of you." Rishab replies,"No Dadi I will not be here this weekend. I have plans with Sachin and Arti. We are going out to Lonavla." Dadi looks disappointed, but she says,"Okay, but bring her again then when you free for lunch." Rishab nods his head, says bye to her and goes out of the house. Khushi follows him towards the car. They get in and Rishab starts driving.

Khushi starts her blabbering again about how she loved their library, how she talked with uncle and so on. But Rishab does not say anything. He just drives without looking at her. Khushi finds something is off with him and so asks,"What happened? Why are you so silent?" Rishab says,"Nothing. I just don't want to talk right now." Khushi asks again,"Are you angry on me? Why are you avoiding me again? I had told you na never to avoid me. You have to talk to me. Rishab are you listening or what??" Rishab stops his car at the traffic signal and starts shouting at her,"Why can't you stay silent for a minute? When you know I don't want to talk then why are you forcing me? Everything is not always about you. Please stop your childish behaviour. Let me drive in peace." Khushi becomes silent. She is hurt by such behaviour. She doesn't know what is her fault. She turns her face towards the window and starts crying. Rishab doesn't react even after looking at her. He knows he has hurt her but he is hurt too. He doesn't know what he should do now. So he drives without saying anything to her.

They reach office and Khushi immediately gets out of the car and goes inside. Rishab parks his car and then enters. He gets out of the elevator and goes to his room, stealing a glance at Khushi. She doesn't look at him. All through the day, they remain busy in their respective work, avoiding each other as much as possible. As the day ends, everybody leaves the office one by one. Khushi slowly gets up from her desk and goes towards Rishab's cabin. She knocks at the door and enters the room. Rishab looks up from his laptop to find her standing near the door. She comes near the desk and puts the jacket that she had taken the previous night on it. Her eyes are red from crying. She says,"I just came to return your jacket. I am leaving now. I won't disturb or talk to you again.Good Night." She turns to go when Rishab gets up from his chair quickly. He goes behind her and holds her hand saying, "Please stop." Khushi is in tears, she does not turn and tries to remove her hand from his hold. But Rishab's hold is strong. He pulls her closer and turns her towards him. He slowly holds her face up to find tears in her eyes. He wipes them with his fingers and says,"Sorry." Khushi does not reply anything but just looks at him with watery eyes. Rishab says,"Will you stop crying please? It doesn't suit you. I like you when you laugh. Maaf nahi karogi mujhe?" Khushi shakes her head and with a teary face says, "Why did you shout at me? Nobody has ever done that to me. I had not done anything wrong then why you shouted at me." Rishab feels more guilty, he goes near her and takes her into his embrace. Khushi puts her face near his chest and still cries. After sometime she feels better and Rishab leaves her.

Rishab holds her hands and says,"Sorry for shouting at you. I was upset." Khushi asks,"But why were you upset? Tell me." Rishab says,"I'll tell you but not now. Have you eaten anything today?" Khushi shakes her head, she says,"I was so upset that I couldn't eat anything. I am feeling hungry now. Have you eaten anything?" Rishab smiles and says, "No, how could I eat when I made you cry for no reason? Pav bhaji again??" Khushi smiles and says yes. They leave the office and get into the car. Rishab takes Khushi to the same place where they had Pav bhaji the previous night. Khushi finds the children there. Rishab buys ice creams and other things for the children. Although Rishab does not normally eat junk or street food, he doesn't say no this time. He is really sorry for the way he had behaved with Khushi. It was not her fault. He can never explain to Khushi why he was upset today. Can he?? Will he ever share his feelings and his life with her??