Chapter 13

It is raining heavily. Rishab does not like to get wet in rain. Hence when it starts raining, he makes faces. Khushi on the other hand loves rain so she is happy to witness the first rain of Mumbai. She rolls down the window and puts her face outside to feel the drizzle. Rishab says,"Are you mad or what? Don't put your head outside the car. And close the window, its raining. Can't you see?" Khushi bringing her head inside, says,"What sir, I mean Rishab, don't you love rain? I toh love getting wet in rain. I and my friends Meera, Sheena and Nitu, used to play and dance in rains. Kitna mazza aata tha..I miss rains of Kasauli. Everything looked green and beautiful after the rain there." Rishab shakes his head and smiles. He says,"My dear rain-lover, this is Mumbai. Rain water makes ponds and rivers on the roads here. It's not beautiful but horrible when you drive."Khushi says,"You can't see beauty in anything. Rain makes every city beautiful. You need artistic eyes to see the real beauty in things. You can never be a writer..No..never..You are so.. sukha sukha.." She puts her hand outside and collects some water and throws it on Rishab and says,"Now you will see beauty in rains..he..he..". She starts laughing. Rishab says,"Arey what are you doing? STOP IT." But Khushi is enjoying it and she keeps on doing it. Rishab stops the car on the side. To stop her from throwing water, he helds her both hands and pulls her close near him, away from the window. For a moment they both just look at each other. Rishab finds her face covered in water so beautiful and innocent. Khushi too looks at his face covered with water droplets and thinks,'He has such a handsome face. His eyes are so honest.' Just then a car passes by blowing horn. Rishab let go of her hand and they move away from each other.

Rishab thinks,'What am I doing?But she..' His thoughts are interrupted by Khushi cries. He asks,"Kya hua? Why are you shouting?" Khushi points outside the window. Rishab thinks she is showing her the rain outside and says,"Yeah I know its raining and you love rains. So what?" Khushi shakes her head and pointing outside says,"Pav bhaji.." Rishab looks outside to find some food stalls on the road opposite them. One of the stalls was selling Pav bhaji. He says,"Yes there is a pav bhaji stall there. You can find such stalls almost every where in Mumbai. So??" Khushi lowering her eyes says,"I want to eat pav bhaji. I am hungry." Rishab unable to understand asks,"What do you mean by you are hungry? You just came from a party where there were so many dishes. Didn't you eat anything there?" Khushi looks up and says,"There were so many dishes, I got confused. Arti di then came and I started talking to her. So I forgot to eat."
Rishab puts his hand on her forehead and thinks,',Yeh ladki poori pagal hai. How can someone get confused what to eat and even forgot to eat while talking??' He asks,"You remembered now that you are hungry? You could have just told me when we were coming out. Okay. I'll take you to some restaurant. Street food are not hygienic. Its also raining. I'll find a restaurant on the way."

Saying that Rishab puts the car in ignition and Khushi starts wailing. She says,"Nahi..I can't wait. Mujhe joro ki bhook lagi hai.I don't want to go to any restaurant. I want to eat now. Please Rishab. Chalo na.." She makes a puppy face and looks at Rishab. He is helpless now as he can't say no to this face. He has to cross the street in the rain. "Alright. But you have to cross the road fast.." Khushi gives a broad smile and opens the door to get down. But Rishab still sits there thinking what he has got himself into.There is not much traffic on the road. Khushi knocks on the window. Rishab opens the door and starts getting wet. He holds Khushi' s hand and they run across the road. They reach the food stall and go under the shade. Rishab places the order for one plate pav bhaji. Khushi sits down on the chair placed under the shade. Rishab takes out his handkerchief to wipe his face and then sits down next to Khushi. A young boy brings down a plate of hot pav bhaji. Khushi starts eating immediately. After few bites,she realises her mistake. Biting her lower lips, she lifts the plate towards Rishab asking him to eat. Rishab finds this cute,smiles and declines. Khushi smiles in return and resumes eating. She takes a bite of chilly and her mouth starts burning. She starts to tear up and then cry. Rishab gets up to get water for her and helps her to drink. He thinks,' She is a kid in the body of an adult. She is making me do things that I normally won't do but still I am not feeling agitated. Why??'

After Khushi finishes her food, Rishab goes to the counter to pay. He returns to find the chair empty. When he looks around, he finds Khushi playing in the puddle of water in the rain. He looks at her and smiles. Khushi comes running and holding Rishab's hand drags him outside in the rain. She says,"Baris har tension ko dho dalti hai. It makes us happy as it washes away all problems of life. Rishab close your eyes and enjoy the rain. You will love it too. Please.." Rishab closes his eyes and feels the rain on his face. For first time in many years, he feels relaxed. He opens his eyes to see Khushi playing with few kids from street in the puddle of water. Rain starts to slow down. Rishab goes to the near by stall and buys few packets of food and gives them to the kids. He then tells Khushi that they must go now as it's getting late. Khushi nods her head and says bye to the kids. They cross the road again towards the car. Suddenly Khushi' s heels bends and she looses her balance. She is about to fall down and she closes her eyes. But she realises she has not fallen down but somebody is holding her. It's Rishab who has caught her. They look into each other's eyes. Their body is so close to each other and his hands on her waist. Slowly Rishab helps her to get back on her feet. Khushi feels shy and murmurs thank you to him. They then get into the car and Rishab starts driving. They don't talk to each other. They both are lost in thoughts..Thoughts about each other..