Early Start*

(y/n)'s pov

Knock knock

'It's too early for me to function.' I grabbed my phone from my nightstand realizing that it was around 4:30 in the morning. I headed downstairs, my hair in a messy bun and I was wearing only an oversized sweatshirt. I opened the door to see Tsukishima's buddy. 'Ahhh shoot. What's his name again?'

"Sorry for coming by so early," the boy said, "I was wondering if you could practice with me at the gym." I motioned for him to come inside.

"I'll get ready and we can leave here in around 20 minutes," I said heading back up to my room. I put on some leggings my (f/c) top and a jacket. I then washed my face, brushed my teeth, and put up my (h/l) (h/c) hair. "Did you have anything to eat yet?" I asked as I made my way to the kitchen to grab something for myself.

He didn't reply so I took that as a no. I grabbed a couple of protein bars and my water bottle and gym bag. "Let's get going now," I said heading out the door. I handed him one of the protein bars, "So what did you want to practice?"

"u-umm...Maybe receives and serves?" I nodded.

"What made you want to come out and practice this early?" I said as I let out a yawn. He tilted his head as if he was saying 'do I need a reason to want to practice?'  "I mean sure I've practiced till late or from an early time but not this early. You must have a logical reason behind wanting to come out now."

"Well..." Yamaguchi looked down at his feet while I typed in the passcode to unlock the gym. "I...I-i don't want to fall behind my teammates." That confused me.

"Fall behind? I mean I don't really know much about your teams but you guys must be all gifted to have come here right?" I opened the door and we both walked inside.

"I'm not a regular," he sighed, "I'm just a pinch server and I barely play because..." I was putting on my shoes and I looked up towards him. He looked like he was on the verge of tears. "because... I...."

I got up and went towards him wiping the tears that threatened to fall. I had one hand on the back of his head and the other wrapped around his back. "You don't have to give your reasons... It seems personal and so I apologize for asking," I said making circles with my hand that was on his back, trying to get Yamaguchi to relax. His shaky breathing had settled down. I let him go and asked him if he was ready to start. He nodded.

I grabbed a ball cart from storage room and we practiced. His serves were nice, although I could receive them for the most part there were times that I had miscalculated its direction. Yamaguchi's receives were improving quickly.

Asahi's pov

Daichi, Sugawara, and I were looking around for Yamaguchi after we finished breakfast. Kiyoko was helping us too but she split up from us. Then we saw her standing outside of the gym we were going to have practice in today. She was just watching through a small crack in the doorway. The three of us ran over to her "Did you-" Daichi started.

Kiyoko put her hand over his mouth and motioned for us to be quiet and look. Inside was (y/n) who was practicing her serves, jump serves to be more specific. "We need to find Yamaguchi," Sugawara said quietly as he watched (y/n) in awe. 'Her jump serve was a pretty formidable one. It can probably compare to Kageyama and Oikawa's. In fact I wish I could learn how to jump serve from her.'  Kiyoko pointed to the other side of the net...Yamaguchi?

Daichi, Sugawara, and I sighed with relief that we finally found him.